New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Who's still using the White MacBook (non-unibody)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AndrewGomes

AndrewGomes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 4,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GBs RAM, OS X 10.6.8

Hello everyone, this is my first thread on this forum, so HELLO
Anyway... this week I bought a secondhand White MacBook from 2008 the 4,1 model to be exact!, Why? well I needed a Mac laptop to take to college and run specific software on it (some are PowerPC based haha), I've been a Mac user since 2006 when I got my Mac Mini Core Duo model which I no longer use it has my primary machine since I bought my MacBook, so this is my first portable Mac. It has a brand new battery lasts 5 hours (depends on the use of course), 4 GBs of RAM and I'm getting an SSD, I'm running Snow Leopard since I need rosetta for some PowerPC apps, but later I will upgrade it to Lion, or ML I don't know yet... The question I leave here is Am I the only one who's still using the White MacBook has their primary machine?

Thanks

-Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Well its not my primary machine now, but I have one and love it

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's my primary Notebook and still does what I need it to do.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My wife is still using the '07 model as her only computer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

I'm using a 2007 Black Macbook right now. It has 4GB RAM fitted, a 320GB 7200rpm drive and runs 10.7.5. It normally lives in the kitchen and is used for email and web access. It also has a Boot Camp partition running Win 7 I use with my ham radio SDR transceiver. The battery just about lasts 3 hours if I take it up into the nearby hills to play radio.

My daughter has a 2009 white MacBook, it's her only computer. There's still lots in use.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGomes View Post
...but later I will upgrade it to Lion, or ML I don't know yet...
Wanted to let you know that officially...the max OS for a MacBook 4,1 is Lion (10.7.5).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
AndrewGomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Wanted to let you know that officially...the max OS for a MacBook 4,1 is Lion (10.7.5).

- Nick
Oh well at least it can run Lion, my Core Duo Mac Mini can only run Snow Leopard and right now Apple still supports Snow Leopard, and Lion am I right?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...and right now Apple still supports Snow Leopard, and Lion am I right?
What sort of support are you looking for?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
AndrewGomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What sort of support are you looking for?

- Nick
App support, being able to run the latest versions of Adobe Suite, iTunes, etc
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
App support, being able to run the latest versions of Adobe Suite, iTunes, etc
As far as Adobe...you would need to check Adobe's web page to see what the system requirements are for the version of Adobe products you are running.

Generally speaking...developers of non-Apple apps determine what OS version they want their products to be compatible with. If Apple releases a new OS version (with new abilities & features)...software developers want to take advantage of that.

So for example...Adobe CS6 I'm pretty sure requires a newer version of the Mac OS than Adobe CS5. So you need to check what version you are running...so you know what OS version is needed.

As far as Apple apps (like iTunes)...it does look like the latest version of iTunes (11.0.4) is still compatible with Snow Leoaprd (10.6.8):

Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
yoyo13579

yoyo13579 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL

i still use a white macbook as my evryday, i video edit on it, and i do light gaming on it, and i have macbook 2,1, its still awesome, but i do recomend SL as lion is slower and doesnt give you much of an advantage as airdrop and multi touch are not supported, i use the late 2006 and i have not been dissapointed
QUOTE Thanks
AndrewGomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo13579 View Post
i still use a white macbook as my evryday, i video edit on it, and i do light gaming on it, and i have macbook 2,1, its still awesome, but i do recomend SL as lion is slower and doesnt give you much of an advantage as airdrop and multi touch are not supported, i use the late 2006 and i have not been dissapointed
Thanks good to know!, mine is a early 2008 though but I will only upgrade to Lion after upgrading this guy with an SSD
QUOTE Thanks
samsa

samsa will become famous soon enough

Still using a White Macbook 1,1 as my primary machine. 83 months old, still has the original battery (1,860 load cycles), still going strong. Only complaint is the Core Duo processor that doesn't allow me to upgrade to Mountain Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsa View Post
Only complaint is the Core Duo processor that doesn't allow me to upgrade to Mountain Lion.
It's more than the core duo cpu that is preventing the upgrade to Mountian Lion. Late 2008 Aluminum MacBooks (model 5,1) are the first models officially mentioned by Apple that can run ML:

System requirements for OS X Mountain Lion

Besides the a core 2 duo cpu...I think that it's also got something to do with the gpu hardware.

- Nick

p.s. Technically speaking...MacBook 1,1's cannot run OS 10.7 "Lion" either.

QUOTE Thanks
samsa

samsa will become famous soon enough

Good to know... I had it in my head that later white non-unibody MacBooks with the Core 2 Duo could run Lion or later.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Charger Overheat? | Using Snow Leopard in 2013 »