New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Air Wifi problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

***guy

***guy is on a distinguished road

Hello,

First of all, I'm sorry if there's already a thread about this, but I googled a long time and could not find an answer. There were similar problems, but never the same. Also, I am fairly good with computers, but not a pro, and I am a PC user with some mac experience. With that said...

My girlfriend bought a macbook air not very long ago and she cannot connect to the internet at home. It works flawlessly however at my place, her dad's place and possibly school (not 100% sure she tried there). At home, the computer connects to the wifi, signal shows full bars, but going on a browser does not work. I tried the diagnostics tool, but that ALWAYS fails at ISP. All lights are green until ISP which is red. All it suggests is to restart devices (modem, router, etc) and that doesn't work. I tried forgetting the network and trying again, but it never works. It's not like dropout problems I've been reading about. Other laptops work, my phone works, so the problem is between the macbook and the modem I would assume. The modem model is arris tm602g, but I couldn't find any info on compatibility with Macs and that modem.

So I'm stumped... any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to add, if ever it is useful, she does not have airport. Hope I gave all necessary info.
QUOTE Thanks
daffy67

daffy67 is on a distinguished road

Does it actually get an IP address from the modem/router??

Go the Mac!!
QUOTE Thanks
***guy

Yeah, it does. When I am on the network options page (before "Assist me" and diagnostics), it says I am connected to the network and it gives me an IP address. It's weird because outside of the diagnstics page, there is no mention of an error (such as an exclamation mark in the menu bar at the top).
QUOTE Thanks
***guy

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Laptop | How Do You Change Key Shortcuts? | Please help with part number »