Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Aug 12, 2013
    Posts
    5
    Burn mark on macbook pro?
    Hi everyone,

    I finally opened on mid 2010 13" MBP for the first time to see if I need a tri-wing screwdriver or a phillips head (battery needs replacing). However I noticed which scared the crap out me. Anyone know exactly what is burnt out?




  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,515
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Did you purchase this computer new or used?

    I'm thinking that it could possibly be rust from a liquid spill. But if you've had this computer since new...and you know that you've had no liquid spills...then maybe it is a burn mark. Just hard to believe it could be a burn mark on that big of an area...and the computer still works...and no smoke (or strange odor) wasn't emitted when it happened.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Aug 12, 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Did you purchase this computer new or used?

    I'm thinking that it could possibly be rust from a liquid spill. But if you've had this computer since new...and you know that you've had no liquid spills...then maybe it is a burn mark. Just hard to believe it could be a burn mark on that big of an area...and the computer still works...and no smoke (or strange odor) wasn't emitted when it happened.

    - Nick
    I purchased it new. I haven't spilled any drinks on it. I'm stumped to be perfectly honest. The laptop has rarely left my desk! It still works perfectly fine, no issues other than my battery. Would the magsafe charger have anything to do it with? The connector gets a bit hot when charging.

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,515
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Please don't double post. 2nd thread was removed.

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,208
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I'm with Nick on this one. It looks more like corrosion rather than a burn mark. If an area that large were to burn or overheat to cause that much discoloring, you would have smelled it across your house. If you rub your finger across the discoloration, does any of it come off on your finger?

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,515
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyftw View Post
    I purchased it new. I haven't spilled any drinks on it. I'm stumped to be perfectly honest. The laptop has rarely left my desk! It still works perfectly fine, no issues other than my battery. Would the magsafe charger have anything to do it with? The connector gets a bit hot when charging.
    What does the bottom panel you removed look like? Are there any marks on the bottom panel opposite where the burn mark is on the logic board (burn marks or smoke marks)?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Aug 12, 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Please don't double post. 2nd thread was removed.

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    Apologies. The site was laggy when I made my last post.

    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'm with Nick on this one. It looks more like corrosion rather than a burn mark. If an area that large were to burn or overheat to cause that much discoloring, you would have smelled it across your house. If you rub your finger across the discoloration, does any of it come off on your finger?
    I was afraid to touch to be perfectly honest. I will try this later and give you up and update.


    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    What does the bottom panel you removed look like? Are there any marks on the bottom panel opposite where the burn mark is on the logic board (burn marks or smoke marks)?


    - Nick
    Nope, nothing but dust!


    Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am worried that the rust will get worse or spread

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Apr 24, 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    735
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    I've seen that discolouration on quite a few MacBook Pro's that are functioning normally, it's quite common. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Steve
    UK

  9. #9

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,208
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Thanks for that Steve. What causes it, do you know?

  10. #10

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,515
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    If techiesteve is correct (just discoloration)...it could be oxidation of some sort.

    Also...my wife does stained glass (lots of soldering)...and I've done some...and sometimes you can get some strange colors when soldering (brown, blue, rainbow effect). Especially if too much flux is used.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,515
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyftw View Post
    Nope, nothing but dust!
    This is a good thing. If the cover that was removed showed burn marks or smoke marks/trails...then we could theorize that something may have shorted out at one time. No marks...no shorting.

    Quote Originally Posted by duffyftw View Post
    Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am worried that the rust will get worse or spread
    Nah...it's not going to spread. It's not like it's a bacteria or a virus.

    If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Apr 24, 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    735
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If techiesteve is correct (just discoloration)...it could be oxidation of some sort.
    I've no idea what causes it, but I see it a lot. If I had to guess, I'd go with oxidation as above.
    Steve
    UK

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. macbook pro question mark in center of screen????
    By barbersurgeon in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM
  3. Flashing question mark - no OS installed on my MacBook Pro - what do I do?
    By TheGoonerKid in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •