New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question mark after installing 840 pro in mbp 09

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Forte23

Forte23 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone like the title says i just installed the ssd and whenever i boot i get a question mark folder that blinks. I did not convert any files over. If someone could help that would be great
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What have you done? Did you clone your old drive to the new SSD before installing it? The question mark means that the computer can't find appropriate system files which leads me to believe that you didn't install OS X on it (assuming you didn't clone your old install to it).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Forte23

You are correct i did not clone anything yet. My friend who has a ssd in said you could just fresh install but maybe thats wrong. What options do i have?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Do a fresh install from your OS X disc.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Forte23

I tried putting in the cd and i hear the cd driving working but only get the question mark. After a bit the cd ejects. I have an external hd and my sisters macbook does that help at all?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Are you holding down the C key while the computer is booting? If you don't, the computer will not boot from the disc.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Insert the DVD - reboot the machine while it's in - press and hold the 'C' key of the option key while it is booting and then select the DVD to install OS X.

If it's not reading the disc - Try taking a can of air and shoot 3-4 quick blasts in the slot of the DVD drive to clean the lens.
While the machine is shut down naturally.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Forte23

Awesome thank you guys for the help this far. Now when it takes me to the install mac os x select the disk you wAnt nothing shows up. Is the mac not reading the ssd?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You need to format the disk first. In the Utilities menu, open up Disk Utility and format the disk (it's the erase option). Make sure the partition scheme is set to GUID.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Forte23

Is there a guide i can follow from here on out? I dont want to bug younguys with all these ? Since idk what im doing. I domt think i formatted the ssd right
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

What happened after you formatted the drive?

It's very possible that the drive wasn't installed properly. Let's exhaust all other issues first.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Forte23

I erased the ssd and then went to restore and dragged the install cd as source to the 256 gb ssd for destination( i thought this is what i was supposed to do) and it took about 30-40 min to dl and yea i trird to restart and same issue
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Boot from the DVD. LEave Installer and go into Utilities > Disk utility and run Erase and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Then into partition > Options and make sure GUID is selected. back to the Installer and then install OS X.

Take it you are using a Snow Leopard OS X.6 full retail install DVD and not a silver/grey system disc from another computer?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I've never used an SSD so I could be wrong but here's my take. I think what has happened is that dragging the installer to the SSD basically copied the installer to the SSD. I think that after you format the SSD you need to run the installer and choose the SSD as the destination disc.

@Harry Beat me to it buddy.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You said that you were using a disc to install OS X so I assume that you're using Snow Leopard (10.6). If that is the case, read this. If that's not what you're using, let us know what version of OS X you're trying to install.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro thinks a memory bank is empty when restarted? | connecting to car stereo »