Thread: iBook for Colledge
02-06-2006, 12:25 AM #1piece of appleGuestiBook for Colledge
I'm going to be a film student next summer :batman:, and since editing is all Mac based now days, and since our colledge is going to use Macs, they're like idd be nice if I had a Mac Notebook.
I'm really not sure which one to choose. I would need Final Cut Pro and various other editing programs. I was wondering, should I go with the iBook. Or should i look more into the MacBook Pro or PowerBook.
02-06-2006, 12:30 AM #2
Get the MacBook Pro, the iBook wont have enough power to run FCP. Also wait till after march to get FCP (the current version doesn't run on the intel macs)
02-06-2006, 12:30 AM #3
i would look into the macbook pro or powerbook, the extra power would be very nice if you have the $$.
um also, your going to college.
-chrisMoTM honor roll...
i dont remember
02-06-2006, 02:12 AM #4piece of appleGuest
yea, i'll do some more research ... are powerbook and macbook pro both part of Apple's pro line?
02-06-2006, 02:14 AM #5Originally Posted by piece of apple
02-06-2006, 06:44 AM #6
Before jumping on the MacBook Pro bandwagon, take a look at *all* the software you'll be using. Anything not compiled for Intel yet (ie, not a universal binary) will be *very* slow on intel based Macs.
I see that Final Cut Pro was menioned, and indeed it does have a universal binary verion available.
The big question here is what software will you have available to you. Are you going to load FCP from a student version, does that version have a universal binary, if the school doesnt have the student version universal binary can you get an upgrade for whatever version you buy.
You also need to look at other software you're going to use. For example, if you're going to need Office, it does not have a unviversal binary out yet.
Speed is very important on video editing software, and if you wind up trying to run FCP under Rosetta emulation I think you'll have a tough time doing any kind of video editing.
Given the cost of PowerBooks and MacBooks vs iBooks, and the uncertainty with universal binaries, an iBook might be a safer choice. For the price of a PowerBook or MacBook, you can buy a G4 iBook this year and an intel iBook next year.
02-06-2006, 09:02 AM #7jn4jennyGuest
I think that the best advice for you hasn't even been given yet: You should WAIT to buy the computer until you really, really need to have it. If you're going to be a film student this summer, that gives Apple three whole months to release new products and to sort out the inevitable bugs that the MacBook Pro will have.
Give it a few months and see if you get lucky; Apple might release an Intel iBook, release more MacBook Pro's in other sizes and configurations, etc. There's some strong industry speculation that the Intel iBook will debut in March in 13.3" widescreen format and will deliver in April. That's just speculation, but if you've got a few months to wait, you might as well see if it pans out before shelling out for a potentially buggy $1999 MacBook.
I do agree with everyone that the current iBook won't suit your film student needs. It's not powerful enough.
02-06-2006, 09:11 AM #8piece of appleGuest
yea, i'm not buying it now. i'm still researching, then im gonna see what my prof. says.
oh and speaking of Apple's releasing new software and hardware: Are Macworld or Events held two times a year, or just once a year.
02-06-2006, 11:53 AM #9
- Member Since
- Mar 09, 2004
- Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
02-06-2006, 05:51 PM #10piece of appleGuestooh
nice. gives me something to look forward to i guess. other than colledge. :dummy:
02-06-2006, 06:10 PM #11MJGUKGuest
Certainly, if you're looking at FCP and the Pro Apps, especially in relation to Video Editing and so on, the iBook won't be enough power for you (in any sense).
The MacBook Pro is no doubt a great Notebook and although I am unsure as to whether they will update it, atleast in the next few months, as the other guys were saying a Universal Binary Version of FCP and other Pro Apps will no doubt be available in the next few months. So for me, I'm not sure whether buying the Notebook now or in a few months really differs a great deal. That said, if you're a college student too (like I am), I'd consider the Powerbook seriously. Fact is, it's still a great Notebook, the universal binaries will be made for years to come and Apple have substantially dropped the prices on those boxes, if I recall correctly. So really, for quite a few hundred bucks less, you might be better off going for a Powerbook and whats more, it will run your Pro Apps now, not in a few months.
Whatever you decide, Good luck with your new Mac ^_^
02-06-2006, 06:12 PM #12
i would definately wait to see what the professor says....chances are great that you will have some sick machines to do your work on in computer labs etc....
-chrisMoTM honor roll...
i dont remember
02-06-2006, 08:39 PM #13
Originally Posted by AptmunichDon't forget to use the new User Reputation System
- Member Since
- Jul 22, 2003
- Hamilton College
- 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
02-06-2006, 08:54 PM #14
i totally agree with the whole universal software on this.. i would go with the powerbook.. regardless of whats released.
i know apple makes a great machine.. but i would wait at least a year before even thinking about going with any intel based macs..
just my thoughts.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By pahoran in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 6Last Post: 08-05-2007, 06:39 PM