New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

audio hijack

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

ok i bought a used 2006 macbook pro a while back, works great except for the internal speakers, ear buds, usb external speakers, aux jack plugged into stereo speakers. ive tried everything i can think of to fix the really low volume, everything ive found on the internet for fixes. so i tried the audio hijack software, hey it really boosted the sound, and quality isnt to bad either. just wonder if it can hurt anything using it. also does it affect the ear buds or external speakers in any way. if i were rich id send it back to apple to fix, but not.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If you are outputting low sound volume over all of those devices, then you likely have a faulty software setting somewhere. Open up iTunes, go to "Window", then "Equalizer". What's it set at?

You may also need to run Audio MIDI Setup and look at some settings there.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

sound is perfect except for the internal speakers. sound loud and good in ear buds, sounds great into harmon kardon usb speakers, just way to low on internal speakers, even at full volume.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

And how about those settings I pointed you to?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 12.09.54 PM.png (307.8 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Alrighty. Well your settings seem kosher. Your problem may well still be software related, but it could be the speakers going bad. If you want to troubleshoot that more, you can try creating a new user and see if the problem persists in that user account.

In the meanwhile, back to your original question... will using Audio Hijack hurt your computer? Probably not. We don't know why your volume is low on your built-in speakers (or maybe it is normal, and you just aren't used to it?) so I can't say it absolutely won't cause a problem, but I'm skeptical that it will.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well the audio output jack works and can be plugged into a aux speaker, and the usb also. ive been looking at the logitech clip on top mount speaker, it has great reviews.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

ok installed audio hijack. makes a huge difference. now im trying to figure out how to have it hijack the system automatically when i startup. so far if i shut my computer down when i restart i have to hijack the system. im sure theres a way to have it automatically hijack on startup without have to hijack every time.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well i downloaded VLC player and now it seems that the problem is in the right speaker. so ill need to have the speaker replaced or do it myself. how hard of a job is it to replace the speaker. by the way VLC sound as good, if not better, than audio hijack.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
well i downloaded VLC player and now it seems that the problem is in the right speaker. so ill need to have the speaker replaced or do it myself. how hard of a job is it to replace the speaker. by the way VLC sound as good, if not better, than audio hijack.
Check out the guide on iFixit:
MacBook Pro Repair - iFixit

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

i did. doesnt seem that difficult, just a lot of parts to remove. bought a set of speakers today, have them next week. at least i finally found out what the problem was.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook A1181 will not turn on | Who has put a SSD in the Optical Drive Bay ?? »