New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac book pro 2012 - wine spill

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cranebox95

Cranebox95 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so i'm not completely sure if this is the right place to start a thread like this, so my apologise if this is the wrong place!

So, got a Apple Macbook Pro 13.3" mid 2012 MD101xx/A, I spilled a small amount of wine on it and caused it liquid damage I'v take it too the genius bar and they said they were going to charge me to replace the logic board and keyboard but the Genius told me this was pretty standard practice and they would be able to repair the logic board later and reuse it.

and today I've just turned on the MacBook again. It started up, chimed and I managed to log in as normal using a USB keyboard (the liquid damaged keyboard only types in caps). The computer does not shut itself down now like it was doing before.The login process was notably slower than normal but everything else seems to be working - trackpad / airport / screen. However, the DVD drive is not recognised and I can't get it to recognise an external hard drive / USB drive

Do you think I could completely stripe the machine apart and cleaned everything and dried everything and reassembled it would work again?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebox95 View Post
*snip*

Do you think I could completely stripe the machine apart and cleaned everything and dried everything and reassembled it would work again?
Not likely. Wine happens to be very efficient at conducting electricity, so you almost certainly have parts shorted out inside your MacBook.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebox95 View Post
Liquid spills (in many cases) end up with a dead computer. The fact that your computer seems to be working partially is a better sign than most folks experience with their liquid spilled computer.

That being said...there is no definite answer to the question asked above (results are unpredictable).

No need to guess...just do it...and see what happens. Then you will have the answer.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Wine is just above Coca-Cola on the list of Worst Possible Liquids to Spill on your Mac. It is eating your logic board as we speak, albeit slowly.

You can probably kiss that machine goodbye over time.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

As others suggest think it is one the way out and as you have found out no warranty once the liquid indicators show the spill.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerless Powerbook | Macbook Air 13 Fan Noise »