New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Scratch on new iBook.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iSteve

I knew it was going to happen, but was hoping to last more than 2 hours without a scratch on my new iBook. Just a small shallow one on the cover. Anyone know of a way to "buff" it out? Any products to recomend? Thanks for any help.
Steve
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I believe that RadTech has a product called Icecreme that can do that.

http://www.radtech.us/icecreme.html

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
I believe that RadTech has a product called Icecreme that can do that.

http://www.radtech.us/icecreme.html
Cool thanks! I ordered some today. I'll write a review once I try it.
QUOTE Thanks
Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve
Please keep us updated! One of my reservations in purchasing my iBook was that it will be difficult to keep it "looking like new." Mine has developed a few surface scratches on the cover, as well.
QUOTE Thanks
jaycrew

hey iSteve i've got the same problem as my ibook recently got some scratches due to my ipod. please give some feedback on the product when you can.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
toml

Oh! Bummer. That is just the kind of thing I hate. When I was working as an aircraft mechanic we used this product http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/aircraft_kits.htm to buff scratches out of airplane windows (optical clarity is a big deal in that biz). They were usually Plexiglas or Lexan. I think these are acrylic or polycarbonate products like your ibook case. The kit comes with progressive grits of emery cloth, down to the incredibly fine; 6000 grit, and some other stuff to make the buffing go easier. The bad news anything for aircraft usually costs a bundle (uh hu $35.00). I see the headlight lens protector repair kit is only $15.00 http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/headlight_kits.htm and the grit size goes down to 12,000, Wow.
QUOTE Thanks
jaycrew

Radtech's IcreCreme is great at removing scratches on iBooks and iPods. I had a few deep scratches on my ibook that I was able to remove completely with the cream. You use coats of the "A" compound to remove scratches, buff that off, and then apply coats of the "B" compound to restore the glossy look and finish. It's a great product and I highly recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks
iSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycrew
Radtech's IcreCreme is great at removing scratches on iBooks and iPods. I had a few deep scratches on my ibook that I was able to remove completely with the cream. You use coats of the "A" compound to remove scratches, buff that off, and then apply coats of the "B" compound to restore the glossy look and finish. It's a great product and I highly recommend it.

I found the "A" cream worked great, but the "B" cream did not remove the small hairline scratches. Do you have any tips Jaycrew?
QUOTE Thanks
jaycrew

Hey iSteve,

I just applied multiples coatings of the "B" cream before buffing it all entirely off. Also, I didn't put as much pressure as I did for the "A" cream because I think the "B" is more for restoration of the glossy look. I might have a couple slight scratches that remain, but it's barely noticeable and probably could be taken out if I added another application. If this doesn't help you should email Radtech's customer service, they're very helpful.

Quote:
I found the "A" cream worked great, but the "B" cream did not remove the small hairline scratches. Do you have any tips Jaycrew?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to buy iBook 12.1" | Bronze Keboard - Keyboard Tab Issue »