New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2007 MBP Won't Boot Up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dcabral

dcabral is on a distinguished road

I have a 2007 MBP Model - 20MA896LL. Pressing the power spins the hard drive, but snow leopard does Not boot up--the screen remains black. I have attempted to reset the PRAM and the SMC. Both had no effect. My suspicion is that the problem is somewhere on the motherboard.

------
The night before my MBP did not boot up, I ran a full Time Machine backup (excluding the Dwnlds fldr). I shut down normally. The next morning it would not boot up.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Did you run any software updates

I am fixing someones MPP at the mo so am having similar issues troubleshooting a similar Mac. Is it getting to the apple logo then stalling?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Very good chance that it is the logicboard also known as the motherboard. The mid 2007 to early 2008 models had problems with the video card. Mine experienced this issue several times and luckily was covered under apple's extended service coverage because of this defect. This is a problem because of nVidia manufacturing and apple decided to cover this to help their customers. It was also not limited to apple products. This extended service coverage has expired, your choices are to take it to apple and have them send it out to depot for repair, this is around $320 (at least the last time I had one sent out), or to invest in a new computer. I personally would invest in a new computer because nothing has changed with this model video card, so it will happen again, you just don't know when. You can also take it to the apple store and they have a test they run that will tell them if it is affected by this defect.
QUOTE Thanks
dcabral

Before running Time Machine backup, I ran a software update. The only update that ran was a 347MB security update. No, nothing from the OS boots up--the screen is black. Pressing the power button spins the HD, but nothing else happens. I tried to reset the PRAM and the SMC.
QUOTE Thanks
dcabral

Thanks rustyk123. Motherboard is my guess too. At this point I dont want to spend any money fixing it.....its a 2007 model.

Running Time Machine the night before is definitely related IMO. It took over an hour, and my guess is something on the board heated up to a point of no return.
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabral View Post
Running Time Machine the night before is definitely related IMO. It took over an hour, and my guess is something on the board heated up to a point of no return.
Exactly what happens on these models. The 4th time it happened to my 2008 the video card got so hot that a capacitor next to it caught fire, good thing was I ran out just for a minitue
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safely clean and oil a fan | Best alternative to Apple to replace logic board? »