New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Vomit On Early 2011 MBP 13"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

user5289

user5289 is on a distinguished road

In a series of unfortunate events, my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro got some vomit "splash back" on it. Although it had dried by the time I found it, it appears that only a few isolated areas on the keyboard got some drips. I quickly and easily wiped off the keyboard with tissues and water, and for three days, the computer has been working flawlessly. This morning I noticed that it still smells a little, so I began to google the best way to clean under the keys. There I learned about the corrosion problem that often results from spills on laptops. I read that although the computer my function fine for months after a spill, it will eventually die due to corrosion. With that being said, is corrosion really something to worry about given the relatively small amount of vomit that got on it. I still have 2 years left on my AppleCare, so I would prefer to not void the warranty. Is it worth me individually prying up each key and cleaning the contacts for each? Should I go to ifixit and completely open it up? I am pretty computer-savy and have opened up many windows computers. However, I am sure apple will be able to tell I was in there, and I could very easily screw something else up. I know there is no easy answer here, but I would appreciate any. Advice. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

I have a lot of experience removing laptop keys, it can be difficult and you will probably break at least 1. I worked for a repair shop, I fixed the laptops I would replace keys that were worn out very often, never had any trouble doing this, but I popped one key up on my personal laptop and cracked in in half. For this I recommend replacing the keyboard, it is also not super easy to remove and clean each key one at a time, you could spend several hours doing this.

As far a your warranty goes, it should be voided because of the vomit, however if they have no proof it happened, so they would never know. Don't walk in there and flat out tell them it was vomited on, they do make hidden notes in the corporate machine report database. It is the same for tearing the laptop apart, they expect some tampering, the hard drive and ram are user replaceable.

In 2011 apple did not use void stickers in the computers, the only way they could tell you were inside the laptop was if you made it obvious you were. Inside the laptop there is tape and thin plastic over things, only remove what you must and if you tear the tape leave it off, the plastic should be replaced if it is torn, but I believe the plastic is only on the under side of the keyboard in this model.

Also, check around for other prices to replace, powerbook medic is good as well. Also, some of this companies have an ebay account a sell a little cheaper on there, they just don't tell anyone. Hope this is helpful
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would get this cleaned ASAP especially the inside as stomach acids are very corrosive!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyk123 View Post
In 2011 apple did not use void stickers in the computers, the only way they could tell you were inside the laptop was if you made it obvious you were.
Depends on what sort of "intrusion" we are talking about. Physical intrusion or liquid intrusion.

Apple does use liquid detection indicators...and has since about 2008. Since the computer being discussed in this thread was vomited on...it's possible that one or more liquid detection indicators may have been triggered.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Apple does use liquid detection indicators...and has since about 2008.
That is true, I forgot about those, I am much more familiar with mid 2008 and older, everything before the liquid indicators.

Chances are if it really was just a few drops it would not go passed the keyboard, and would not trigger any of them. The placement looks to be out of the way of splashing a few drops. Here is a document that shows where they are located so you can check this out for your self. Liquid Contact Indicators for Macbook Pro 13-inch 2011
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Yosemite, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S

One other consideration, vomit is considered a biohazard. If you take that in for repair, you should tell the repair shop that there is body fluid in the machine. Even dried vomit needs to be handled with care. I spent 35 years in the medical imaging business and laws are quite specific regarding body fluids, handling, cleaning, and even disposal.

Just food for thought....

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboggess View Post
One other consideration, vomit is considered a biohazard. If you take that in for repair, you should tell the repair shop that there is body fluid in the machine. Even dried vomit needs to be handled with care. I spent 35 years in the medical imaging business and laws are quite specific regarding body fluids, handling, cleaning, and even disposal.

Just food for thought....

Bill
Never considered that, but I never had vomit on one of my laptops, so I have never been in that situation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best alternative to Apple to replace logic board? | Left CMD stopped working with bottom row of keys »