New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need to erase hard drive, screen cracked, no firewire

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

I just saw this. There is no way of deleting all the contents of a hard disk such that at least some of the files cannot be restored afterwards. My brother runs a business using many laptops (over 40, replaced annually or thereabouts) holding highly sensitive financial and government data, and he long since concluded the only safe way is to remove the HD and sell the machine without one. Then he physically destroys the hard drives.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A business - yes, destroy the drive
A kids computer - no banking or other financial info - not, just format it a couple of times.

Get one of these - there are less expensive versions available from Amazon. Only need to remove the one drive, then connect it externally to the other Mac and reformat it.

Same one at Amazon - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DianeDennis

DianeDennis is on a distinguished road

Thank you again everyone.

Unfortunately I'm unable to get the hard drive out of there, the little screwdriver I have doesn't work with it.

I'd love to run up to the local Radio Shack and grab a cable there for a few bucks (don't have more than that to spend and since I won't need it after this, that also makes me hesitate to purchase anything) but the people that work there (at Radio Shack) never know anything about anything...

I wish I could just see the darn screen so that I could erase it. Soooo frustrating.

But thank you again everyone!

Have a great day!
Diane
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeDennis View Post
Unfortunately I'm unable to get the hard drive out of there, the little screwdriver I have doesn't work with it.
Depending where you live...a screw driver set that contains what you need can be purchased for around $5.00 bucks.

You've been given a number of viable solutions...but all I keep hearing is how those solutions are not doable for one reason or another!

Personally I wouldn't sell a computer without secure erasing the HD...or removing the HD before selling it. Since you cannot do either one...I guess you will not be able to sell it (unless you know for sure there is on sensitive data on the HD).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I just saw this. There is no way of deleting all the contents of a hard disk such that at least some of the files cannot be restored afterwards. My brother runs a business using many laptops (over 40, replaced annually or thereabouts) holding highly sensitive financial and government data, and he long since concluded the only safe way is to remove the HD and sell the machine without one. Then he physically destroys the hard drives.
There are always extremes...and in life there are almost no 100% guarantees to be found.

But using Apple Disk Utilities "Secure Erase" feature where up to a 35 pass erase can be performed (where 1's and 0's are randomly written to the HD)...it's a pretty darn good way to insure security for the vast majority of the population.

Even with physical deduction of a hard drive...there are certain protocols that must be followed to insure complete destruction. So even with physical destruction of a HD...if it is not physically destructed properly...some data may still be recoverable.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DianeDennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You've been given a number of viable solutions...but all I keep hearing is how those solutions are not doable for one reason or another!

- Nick
Hi Nick!

Yes they are all very viable options and all are very much appreciated.

Sadly my current situation doesn't allow for me to follow any of them. That may sound like a cop-out or whatever but trust me, the situation doesn't allow for it.

I do know there's no sensitive data on it, the "worst" thing is some iTunes music but I believe the computer has been deauthorized for that.

So I'll have to make a decision on that one.

But as I've said several times I do truly appreciate all of the support and suggestions that I've received in this thread. And if things were different here I could utilize one or more of them.

When I originally came on here I really thought it was doable using only the MacBook itself (even though the screen is broken) and that I just needed someone to show me how.

But alas I was wrong...
-----

I maybe should start a new thread on this next question so please let me know if I should...

Regarding the other MacBook that I can see the screen on, is there a way to wipe it completely clean without wiping the operating system?

I don't have install CD's so I wouldn't be able to re-install it if I do have to wipe it clean.

It also recently occurred to me that I don't have the chargers for them (they're the older style magnetic ones and all I can find are the older style plug-in ones).

Without a charger whoever purchases them would have to purchase them for parts or purchase them with the plans to purchase a charger.

That will significantly lower the amount I was hoping to get for them (I wasn't hoping for much but at least a little)...

But anyhow, is there a way to wipe clean the one I can see without wiping out the OS? If I have to wipe out the OS so be it but if I don't have to that would be cool.

Thank you again so much to all of you.
Diane
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Here's the only way I can think of at the moment though someone else may have a better idea.

1.. Log into your current user account (I assume it is an administrator account)
2. Copy any files you need from your existing user account to another location or another drive.
3. Create a new User account (make sure it is an administrator account)
4. Log out of your current account and into the account you just created.
5. Go to the Accounts Preference pane and delete the old user account.

I think you will be asked whether you want to save the contents of the user folder or delete
them. Choose to delete them. You may even be asked to securely delete them. If so, choose that option.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
DianeDennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Here's the only way I can think of at the moment though someone else may have a better idea.

1.. Log into your current user account (I assume it is an administrator account)
2. Copy any files you need from your existing user account to another location or another drive.
3. Create a new User account (make sure it is an administrator account)
4. Log out of your current account and into the account you just created.
5. Go to the Accounts Preference pane and delete the old user account.

I think you will be asked whether you want to save the contents of the user folder or delete
them. Choose to delete them. You may even be asked to securely delete them. If so, choose that option.
Yay, thank you Slydude!! I know there aren't any files that I need to copy so I can make the new account, delete the old account, and then all is good.

Thank you again so much! Have a great night (or morning now...)!
Diane
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro freezes on log in? | Suggestions for a new Macbook? »