Specs:
    MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 Duo@2.4GHz 750GB HDD
    Battery needs serviced
    My battery/power level indicator is telling me to service my battery. It is in a White Macbook-7,1. I plan on keeping this thing till it falls apart in my lap so I am not averse to replacing the battery. Does this mean the battery is bad/needs replaced or might there be some other issue?

Model Information:
    Serial Number: W0050TE8UE1LA
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device name: bq20z451
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0201
    Hardware Revision: 000a
    Cell Revision: 0165
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4232
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4329
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 288
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 437
    Voltage (mV): 12534

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

You can get a more detailed analysis of your battery's health with coconutBattery.
    coconutBattery 2.8 - by coconut-flavour.com

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 Duo@2.4GHz 750GB HDD
    According to the nut:
    Current Charge-4329 mAh
    Max Charge-4329 mAh

Current Capacity-4329 mAh
    Design Capacity 5770 mAh

Macbook 7,1
    30 Month old Mac
    288 Load Cycles
    Battery Temp-30.5C
    Battery Power Usage-2.9Watts

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVET View Post
    Macbook 7,1
    30 Month old Mac
    288 Load Cycles
    Battery Temp-30.5C
    Battery Power Usage-2.9Watts
    Max. cycle count on these batteries is 300 cycles. Anything beyond this is "bonus round"...where total runtime on a full charge will start to get less & less (compared to what was claimed by Apple when the computer/battery was brand new).

I think that this "Service Battery" message may come up automatically when the battery gets to a certain cycle count...or the total possible mAh value (when fully charged) dips below a pre-defined threshold.

Long story short. As long as you're getting acceptable total runtimes on a single full battery charge (for your needs)...you can just keep on using the computer.

For example...I have an old white MacBook that has a battery that has 600+ charge cycles. I still get 1.0-1.5 hours of total runtime from a fully charged battery...and that works just fine for me...since I use the computer plugged in most of the time.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Max. cycle count on these batteries is 300 cycles. Anything beyond this is "bonus round"...where total runtime on a full charge will start to get less & less (compared to what was claimed by Apple when the computer/battery was brand new).

I think that this "Service Battery" message may come up automatically when the battery gets to a certain cycle count...or the total possible mAh value (when fully charged) dips below a pre-defined threshold.

Long story short. As long as you're getting acceptable total runtimes on a single full battery charge (for your needs)...you can just keep on using the computer.

For example...I have an old white MacBook that has a battery that has 600+ charge cycles. I still get 1.0-1.5 hours of total runtime from a fully charged battery...and that works just fine for me...since I use the computer plugged in most of the time.

- Nick
    This is all true, but there is also cases of false trigger, I believe it is a bug in snow leopard and lion (have not seen it in mountain lion yet). My 2007 macbook did this with 30 cycles or so and my 2008 MBP at 100 cycles of so both after installing snow leopard. These batteries are smart batteries and will record data of the usage and faults, the service battery could just be triggered from the common false reading. If it is false, it will probably go away in a few days, but it will come and go every once in a while.

But as was already said this message is no problem, the Replace soon and Replace Now message I have never seen falsely triggered and you should consider replacing at that time.

Thread Information