New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery needs serviced

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NAVET

NAVET is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 Duo@2.4GHz 750GB HDD

My battery/power level indicator is telling me to service my battery. It is in a White Macbook-7,1. I plan on keeping this thing till it falls apart in my lap so I am not averse to replacing the battery. Does this mean the battery is bad/needs replaced or might there be some other issue?

Model Information:
Serial Number: W0050TE8UE1LA
Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0201
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 0165
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4232
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4329
Health Information:
Cycle count: 288
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 437
Voltage (mV): 12534

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You can get a more detailed analysis of your battery's health with coconutBattery.
coconutBattery 2.8 - by coconut-flavour.com

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
NAVET

NAVET is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 Duo@2.4GHz 750GB HDD

According to the nut:
Current Charge-4329 mAh
Max Charge-4329 mAh

Current Capacity-4329 mAh
Design Capacity 5770 mAh

Macbook 7,1
30 Month old Mac
288 Load Cycles
Battery Temp-30.5C
Battery Power Usage-2.9Watts

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Running at 75% so not too bad.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1402361

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVET View Post
Macbook 7,1
30 Month old Mac
288 Load Cycles
Battery Temp-30.5C
Battery Power Usage-2.9Watts
Max. cycle count on these batteries is 300 cycles. Anything beyond this is "bonus round"...where total runtime on a full charge will start to get less & less (compared to what was claimed by Apple when the computer/battery was brand new).

I think that this "Service Battery" message may come up automatically when the battery gets to a certain cycle count...or the total possible mAh value (when fully charged) dips below a pre-defined threshold.

Long story short. As long as you're getting acceptable total runtimes on a single full battery charge (for your needs)...you can just keep on using the computer.

For example...I have an old white MacBook that has a battery that has 600+ charge cycles. I still get 1.0-1.5 hours of total runtime from a fully charged battery...and that works just fine for me...since I use the computer plugged in most of the time.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Max. cycle count on these batteries is 300 cycles. Anything beyond this is "bonus round"...where total runtime on a full charge will start to get less & less (compared to what was claimed by Apple when the computer/battery was brand new).

I think that this "Service Battery" message may come up automatically when the battery gets to a certain cycle count...or the total possible mAh value (when fully charged) dips below a pre-defined threshold.

Long story short. As long as you're getting acceptable total runtimes on a single full battery charge (for your needs)...you can just keep on using the computer.

For example...I have an old white MacBook that has a battery that has 600+ charge cycles. I still get 1.0-1.5 hours of total runtime from a fully charged battery...and that works just fine for me...since I use the computer plugged in most of the time.

- Nick
This is all true, but there is also cases of false trigger, I believe it is a bug in snow leopard and lion (have not seen it in mountain lion yet). My 2007 macbook did this with 30 cycles or so and my 2008 MBP at 100 cycles of so both after installing snow leopard. These batteries are smart batteries and will record data of the usage and faults, the service battery could just be triggered from the common false reading. If it is false, it will probably go away in a few days, but it will come and go every once in a while.

But as was already said this message is no problem, the Replace soon and Replace Now message I have never seen falsely triggered and you should consider replacing at that time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bad DC in board or just bad luck? | Macbook 2,1 Mid July 2007 RAM Upgrade Question »