New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mysterious crash....what just happened!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caymanso

caymanso is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

New to the forum here, just came to post because the most BIZARRE thing happened to me two days ago.

It all started when I was visiting Grand Cayman on somewhat of a business trip. I was using my 13" macbook from 2009 to work on a website and download photos/videos from my 7D. Long story short...I was using the macbook for a day or so without any problems. I downloaded data from my camera, backed up files to my external that I had just purchased for the trip, and everything seemed to be doing fine.

Then I was browsing the web one night, when suddenly my computer froze. No big deal, it doesn't happen often... I figured I would just restart it and things would go back to normal.
Oh was I wrong...
I restarted the macbook and it booted, I logged in, and began to browse again.
Suddenly it froze again, and I knew something was up.
I restarted it and immediately opened Finder in order to back up my recent photos/videos to my external. I drag the files and nothing happens; the bar scrolls but no progress. After a few minutes I restart again and **** hit the fan ladies and gentleman. I couldn't login anymore, and if I happened to get that far, my desktop wouldn't load, or my dock, etc. Eventually I couldn't even login anymore. I tried Safe Boot and that worked for a short period of time, but not long enough to backup my information. After restarting the macbook literally 50 times and looking up startup codes, I decided the problem was beyond my capabilities and reluctantly took it to the local Camanian off-brand mac store. A few days later I stop in and they say the tech is working on it. He brings it out front and it's functioning completely normally. He asks what was wrong, and I explain the situation. He says he's shocked, I say IM SHOCKED. After I couldn't even get it to boot, this guy has it up and running no problem, AND he backed up my entire HD to my external. At this point my mind is blown. I leave the shop happily and sit outside for a minute and use the macbook. Everything works perfectly.

THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET NUTS.

I walk into the condo, sit down, and power up the macbook.
The SAME EXACT THING HAPPENS.....and I am unable to boot.
I try restarting, nothing, nothing, and more nothing.
I give up and decide I'll take it to the local mac store when I return home.

THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET REALLY NUTS

I return home.
I power on the macbook for kicks and giggles.
It works perfectly and now I am typing this message to you, internet.

Please for the love of all things holy someone explain what just happened.
I am at a loss. I am relieved it's working now....but seriously....
what the hell just happened...

additional info - the condo has a LOT of heavy tile and marble. It's in a big complex and who knows whats in the rest of that thing. They had an elevator problem while we were there, so perhaps the building was undergoing electrical/construction work. Other laptops (not apple) worked in the condo, along with a tv, internet service, ipads, and iphones. The only thing that I can tell myself so that I don't go crazy is that there was some sort of interference related to the building that made my macbook go bonkers.

Please if you have ANY idea what this could be.... let me know.
Thank you in advance for any input, and sorry if I typed a lot. My mind is blown and I just needed to tell somebody
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It sounds like your hard drive is failing. Make sure you have very recent backups on hand and be prepared for the drive to completely fail. Replacing the hard drive in that model is easy but again, keep making backups. You could also have bad memory or memory that's creeped up from its slot and may have to be reseated.

And by the way, interference would not have caused your machine to freeze up like it did.
QUOTE Thanks
caymanso

caymanso is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It sounds like your hard drive is failing. Make sure you have very recent backups on hand and be prepared for the drive to completely fail. Replacing the hard drive in that model is easy but again, keep making backups. You could also have bad memory or memory that's creeped up from its slot and may have to be reseated.

And by the way, interference would not have caused your machine to freeze up like it did.

Is there a way to test this?
Could the Disk Utility confirm hard drive failure?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I Agree with bobtomay.

To be sure and if you want fair warning, i would try to do the Apple Hardware Test. Scroll down a bit and do the test that pertains to what ever OS you are running. Its a 2009 machine, but you didn't let us know what OS you are running on it, but do a AHT and if your HD is failing, and the test will let you know, start getting sorted to buy a new HD or new Mac or Refurbished one so you are ready for it, or swap out the HD before it crashes completely on you and you don't have a backup of the image you where just working on. . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How To Get Rid of This Adware On My Mac | Having trouble with my macbook7,1 »