New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Who has put a SSD in the Optical Drive Bay ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Crimson first came to my thoughts, but mate, didn't you replace the HDD with a SSD ??

But just after some thoughts. I don't use the optical drive AT ALL, and i last inserted a Win 8 DVD not long agao, so I'm happy and have Win8 via BootCamp. Ill make a DVD Bootable Win8 USB before i do any of this for future us.

But what do others think. You reckon i should take out the Optical Drive and replace it with a SSD and have the OS and all my Apps on it, then use the HDD which will give me 650GB to play with as i have a 100GB Bootcamp Partition?? OR
Should i rip out the HDD and just replace that with a Bigger SSD ?? I wanted to buy a 256GB for the Optical bay, but thought i would need at least 512Gb if i was to replace the HDD.

Im really thinking going the Optical Drive way, and putting a SSD into that position. Has anyone done this? And if so any tip or pointers ?? I have the iFixit Breakdown, but it mentions their Optical Bay Drive Enclosures . . . I think i had a mans look on OWC but didn't see this part will look again, but at the end of the day, do you all think this is the way to go ? Or make it easy and take out the HDD and put a bigger SSD in that spot?

Any/all suggestion are most welcome

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Just make sure the drive you get will run on that sata head...

For instance, a 2011 mbp can't take a 6gbs sata drive in the optical bay

Other than that,works great.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Thanks Mike. I have 2012 13" i7 just before the Retina, but in iFixit, it states it needs to be 7mm tall, but the OWC Australian version is Mac Fixit and i was looking at this one which is 9.4mm tall ?? Is that 2.4 mm make a difference ?? But the Optical Bay Mounting Solution is 9.4mm ??

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

There's a bottom tray on that one. I have a owc data doubler, and a year older mbp m

mike
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
There's a bottom tray on that one. I have a owc data doubler, and a year older mbp m
I also went with the Data Doubler

Now the fun begins Tinker Tinker and if you don't see me for some time, then i made a boo boo somewhere lol

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Good luck, its not too hard. I've done it twice with my MBP now. Had to replace the original SSD I installed as it failed about a year after I got it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Good luck, its not too hard. I've done it twice with my MBP now. Had to replace the original SSD I installed as it failed about a year after I got it.
Cool thanks for the vote of confidence Stretch

Question ? Formatting SSD once its in, and then putting 10.8 on it is it the same as holding Option Down, boot to that drive use DU to Format and so on ??
Any tips much appreciated, as I'm just going through all documentation i have for installation before i hit it.
I want to make it the Boot Drive with ALL my Apps on it, then use the other for saving everything to, but will save Adobe projects to the SSD for quickness in rendering and what not ? Sound like a plan ??

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Correct. I have my SSD set up as like a normal drive, and the HDD gets all media libraries and games. The majority of it is pretty easy to set up that way, most apps have settings that will allow you to do that. I know with Steam I had to set up a symbolic link to have to put the files on the HDD while still seeing them "stored" on the SSD.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Correct. I have my SSD set up as like a normal drive, and the HDD gets all media libraries and games. The majority of it is pretty easy to set up that way, most apps have settings that will allow you to do that. I know with Steam I had to set up a symbolic link to have to put the files on the HDD while still seeing them "stored" on the SSD.
Ahhh very nice and the additional symbolic link. That is like in iTunes Pref where you put your path as to where all your media is, but good to know with Steam as i have games from them too.
Well i suppose its time, and ill see you'll on the other side
Cheers Stretch

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Cool thanks for the vote of confidence Stretch

Any tips much appreciated, as I'm just going through all documentation i have for installation before i hit it.
Don't you know the rule? Documentation (Guides, read me files, etc) are merely the manufacturer's suggestion for how things should be installed.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Don't you know the rule? Documentation (Guides, read me files, etc) are merely the manufacturer's suggestion for how things should be installed.

HAHA

My documentation and i gathered bits and pieces from places, and found a shortcut. I #$%^ up big time and stuffed my Righthand Subwoofer cable and could not for the life of me, get it back in, then i gave it to it, and now its **buggered** haha so i don't have Stereo any more, but thats not a biggie.
Rang sent email and photo to Service Centre and they are getting back with a quote, but ill prob not worry as i use external speakers. Installing the OS on it now

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are you sure we're not twins? As a result of my little "rule" I discovered an excellent way to "bork" up a perfectly good Apple IIGS motherboard:

1. Remove the existing 1 MB IIGS memory board and replace it with the 4 MB upgrade.
2. Insert old memory board into one of the open peripheral card slots. Goal is to use this board as a ram disk.
3. Power on computer.
4. Call repair shop to enquire about purchase of a replacement motherboard. Unfortunately I had forgotten that this particular procedure requires an adapter board that I did not have.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
skallal

skallal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Just make sure the drive you get will run on that sata head...

For instance, a 2011 mbp can't take a 6gbs sata drive in the optical bay

Other than that,works great.
I also have a 2011 MBP. Explain why 6 gbs won't work?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by skallal View Post
I also have a 2011 MBP. Explain why 6 gbs won't work?
Because it won't (at least the early 2011 ones won't). You can check OWC's site, they documented this in 2011.

BTW, I've tried.. it won't even format a new 6gbs disk.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Are you sure we're not twins? As a result of my little "rule" I discovered an excellent way to "bork" up a perfectly good Apple IIGS motherboard:

1. Remove the existing 1 MB IIGS memory board and replace it with the 4 MB upgrade.
2. Insert old memory board into one of the open peripheral card slots. Goal is to use this board as a ram disk.
3. Power on computer.
4. Call repair shop to enquire about purchase of a replacement motherboard. Unfortunately I had forgotten that this particular procedure requires an adapter board that I did not have.

HAHA too funny, and we could well be twins, as i went a little further and thought i would check the iSight, and Photo Booth came up as *No Camera* lol so i took it apart and there was 1 wire loose, (Damn they are really really really really small wires and connections) and i go it in and with the tiniest piece of Blu Tack (Is like chewing gum, but used for posters on walls, those in the US might call it something else) and stuck it to it, and reconnected the wire and its working for now.
I got word back from the Service centre and they wont even attempt to Solder it back on, they want to change out my Logic Board, and for the sake of stereo speakers, i can live without.
I have Airport Expresses in nearly every room with speakers, so i dont need them on my Mac, but i do get excited hearing the **Swooosh** sound mail gives off when email is sent, but i still have my left speaker for that.

Now on the SSD. WOW WOW WOW is all i can say. I have nearly instant Startup, Apps dont bounce when opening and i just love it. Im glad i made the purchase. I have iTunes pointed at my old HD and thats where ill keep all media. I nearly didnt because it looked like i was running out of space, because i only had 180gb left on a 650gb HD (i Have a 100gb Bootcamp partition). I opened Daisy Disk and did a scan, and in the hidden files i found a mobile backups.backups file that was HUGE and doing online reading it says not to empty it, and some say do, do i did and got all my space back.
Its a Folder where TM puts data if the TM Backup is interrupted, and it went fine and did another back up.
Now im mega happy.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« audio hijack | Devil scratches }:o »