New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air OK for BootCamp?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tape

tape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac-27":OS10.8:3.4GHz:16G B iPhone5S

I currently use an older Dell laptop for Windows specific applications for my consulting jobs. At home, I have a couple Windows programs I run using Parallels. I have the opportunity to get a top of the line MacBook Air to replace the old Dell and am thinking of dividing the 256 Gig HD into an OS X and a Win7 partition using BootCamp. The Win7 + pgms take up about 50 Gb with about 75 Gb in pic/video/docs. Am I stretching the limit by going with MBAir?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

A 40/60 split OSX/Windows will be fine providing your OSX space requirements are as heavy as your Windows ones.
You can also consider storing the pics/video/docs on the OSX partition or on an external disk.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

If you are really doing "top of the line" then you would have a 512 GB SSD. That is the smallest I would consider for a bootcamp. You would also need 8GB RAM. Remember, you cannot upgrade it after you purchase it. But you are looking at nearly $1900.

You could try Crossover (runs windows apps in OSX and works great.) and get an external HDD for the documents/pics/videos.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you considered virtualization? That option has a space benefit in that the VM will only take up as much space as needed whereas BC requires you to allocate a chunk of space initially.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac book pro issues | Battery »