New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Safely clean and oil a fan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Svalbart

Svalbart is on a distinguished road

The right fan in my Macbook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2010 is noisy. Many tutorials I find on google tell me to clean and oil the fan, and to do so I should take off the plastic fan. However, I believe these tutorials are for older Macbook Pro models, because when I tried this with my Mid 2010 model I couldn't get the fan off easily, and I was afraid that if I would force it it would break off.

So: can I safely take out the plastic fan in order to clean and oil it without breaking it?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I wouldn't oil it.

Clean it or replace it.

Go to ifixit.com and get instructions specific to your model.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Used to remove, clean and oil fans in Mac Pro days, but with a laptop do as mrplow suggests. May well be cheaper, and safer, in the long run. Use canned air to give things a good blow out whilst doing the fan job.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Replace it. I replaced my fan on a MBP 13 when it started to make noise back in February. Ordered it on Ebay for $7-$10 free shipping. Took off the bottom cover. Removed 3 screws -- I think... and the connector. All quiet since.
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Agree replace it, you can grab a can of air and blow it off, but when it starts making noise the dust has already gotten to the bearings and should be replaced. Also, it is a whole lot cheaper to replace the fan then to replace the logicboard once a drop of oil moves it's way off the fan.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook 2,1 Mid July 2007 RAM Upgrade Question | 2007 MBP Won't Boot Up »