New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro 13" 2011 - Black screen HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

superxg

superxg is on a distinguished road

Tjo!

I was in the computer and soldered away a piece that stuck in my audio input (3.5mm port). Started up the computer and everything worked fine. Then I saw that it did not help, the piece had shared in the gate. So I decided to have the computer apart and solder away the last bit too. The speaker came on, but the screen is now black!

Do not really know how I will fix this now. Everything is linked together as it should and I double-checked about 10 times now. So I really believe on your members here! What could be going wrong for me?

Tested shine a light on the apple on the back of the screen. Then the screen lit a little in the middle, which makes me very surprised. The screen works then, but it seems that no current goes into the backlight!

Now I just can run the computer with the TV using the thunderbolt/HDMI!

PS: Lost one of the two screws of magnetic charge component. Could it have any effect on the screen?

Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Sweden hehe
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

I've removed around 25 broken remains of 3.5mm jack plugs from MacBook's, MacBook Pro's, iPod's and iPads, all with a very careful application of superglue to the tip of a screw, holding until set, then leaving a few hours to be sure, then pulling to remove the broken plug. Full functionality returns, no damage from surplus superglue as long as you are precise and careful.

As you have now removed the socket, you should have normal operation other than from the missing socket. You can now only have a loose or damaged socket, or damage to the logic board. When working on the logic board, did you take full ESD precautions, anti static mat, wristband, low voltage soldering iron and use a solder sucker with an ESD protective tip, usually black?

Re the missing audio socket, you can compensate for that by using a cheap chinese USB audio adapter. They work well, only needing a few clicks to configure in the sound preferences. I use these when I sometimes need a second audio board with some projects.

Missing screws are bad practise, they can cause shorts and damage if they are trapped within the logic board. Just being missing and not loose within the MBP will not cause no video or display backlight.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
superxg

superxg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
I've removed around 25 broken remains of 3.5mm jack plugs from MacBook's, MacBook Pro's, iPod's and iPads, all with a very careful application of superglue to the tip of a screw, holding until set, then leaving a few hours to be sure, then pulling to remove the broken plug. Full functionality returns, no damage from surplus superglue as long as you are precise and careful.

As you have now removed the socket, you should have normal operation other than from the missing socket. You can now only have a loose or damaged socket, or damage to the logic board. When working on the logic board, did you take full ESD precautions, anti static mat, wristband, low voltage soldering iron and use a solder sucker with an ESD protective tip, usually black?

Re the missing audio socket, you can compensate for that by using a cheap chinese USB audio adapter. They work well, only needing a few clicks to configure in the sound preferences. I use these when I sometimes need a second audio board with some projects.

Missing screws are bad practise, they can cause shorts and damage if they are trapped within the logic board. Just being missing and not loose within the MBP will not cause no video or display backlight.
Okay, sorry I do not know what kind of soldering iron. A common one that I know of anyway no particular for low voltage. Probably, I have an injury to either cable to the display that you connect to the logic board, or an injury to the logic board. Unfortunately, I think that it is about the latter. Have given up everything that comes to unbolt and put together to try and kick start the screen again! So my question is if it's worth sending it in for repair, I myself will of course have to pay the whole thing because it's me who damaged it. It is a school computer that is insured but does not apply if you yourself have been in and hooked to the computer.

And what I've heard is that apple change both logicboard and display when such damage occured which makes the whole thing will be very expensive. Probably it will be worth buying a whole new one.. so what is your suggestion? Buy a new one and sell the defect computer on ebay or send in for repair?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« font size in Outlook for Mac | Which Macbook Pro should I buy? »