New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

copy apps form macpro desktop to laptop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

im getting a macpro laptop for the wife to take with her on her travels and id like to copy most everything, or everything, from my macpro desktop to the laptop. thing is my desktop can only support osx tiger and the laptop im getting has snow leopard on it. so how will that work out using carbon copy cloner. can i just clone the apps i want to clone. i have a feeling its not really that easy to just clone the apps i want to transfer.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Use Migration Assistant on the new MacBook Pro (NOT macpro laptop) which can be found in Applications>Utilities and copy over what you want. It gives you a choice from System Files, Applications, and some other suggestions, cant quite remember, but yea Migration Assistant on the New MBP will be your best bet.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

so if i want to copy a program, say mac bluray player to my macbook pro laptop it will give me suggestions on what other items i might need to also transfer to make it work.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yes. You can check mark what you want to Migrate over and what not too. You will need to have the Macs in Target Disk Mode to do this, but migration Assistant is your best bet. If the MacPro is on a Single HD, your MBP might even pick it up as a Ext HD and you wont need Target Disk Mode.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

if i just migrated the whole hard drive form my desktop to my laptop how will this affect the fact that my laptop has snow leopard on it and my desktop has tiger. pretty much that is what i want to do, copy everything except leave snow leopard as the operating system.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

As long as it doesnt copy the OS over it should be OK, but there will be Tiger System Settings that wont come over when you do. It should only Migrate what is compatible with the current OS.

QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

ill check into it some more. i wont be getting the laptop for about a week.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Migration Assistant does not copy over the old OS or anything that won't run on your newer system, so that's not a concern.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

ok. you see ive never used Migration Assistant before, i have used carbon copy cloner. i just dont want to change the newer system, but want everything thats on my desktop. so that sounds good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HDD not showing on Macbook desktop? | Will this work? (Laptop Comparison Question) »