New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Motherboard failing, unsaved data ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sbgoree

sbgoree is on a distinguished road

Hello All!

So I bought a 13 inch macbook pro in January. Looking back I believe it had a problem from the first day. It would randomly go into sleep mode (but almost like a hard sleep mode), it took me awhile to realize that it happened normally when I plugged in my iPhone. My iPhone has never synced well on this computer either, quite often it won't sync. I use spotify, and have no reason to sync my phone so I just ignored it. Yes, I realize at this moment I should have saved my data. All my important documents are saved via dropbox. I know I should always back up my data, unfortunately I don't always do it.

Anyway, last week it shut off, and wouldn't come back on. Power connection was faint blinking orange and battery estimation on the side wouldn't light up. Keyboard reset of smc didn't work either. Normally if I held down the power button for a few seconds, it would fully shut down, and then I could restart it. (Tho I'd often have to play around with the power button.)

So, my main question is I have quite a few movies/tv shows saved to my computer. About 20GB, I'd like to back them up. But I cannot plug usb's into my computer without it totally shutting down, and me having to do a hard reset of the smc. Any suggestions?

I've heard that if it's the motherboard, data may stay intact, but not if the operating system has to be reset. But I don't know how that works with Apple repair. Also, I realize it might not even be the motherboard. I'll be sending it in for repairs in about a week.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgoree View Post
So I bought a 13 inch macbook pro in January
You have answered your own question.

Your MacBook Pro is under warranty. Take it to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorised Service Provider and let them a) figure out what's actually wrong and b) fix it. They'll let you know if the hard drive is okay, recoverable or just plain dead.
QUOTE Thanks
sbgoree

sbgoree is on a distinguished road

Actually no- my question was if anyone has any advice for the 20GB of unsaved data I have.

But thanks, for stating what I already said in my post. I dont think you read what I wrote, since a hard reset of the SMC gets my computer running again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgoree View Post
So I bought a 13 inch macbook pro in January.

So, my main question is I have quite a few movies/tv shows saved to my computer. About 20GB, I'd like to back them up. But I cannot plug usb's into my computer without it totally shutting down, and me having to do a hard reset of the smc. Any suggestions?
You didn't really clearly indicate exactly what 13" MacBook Pro model you have...or whether it is a brand new computer or a "new to you" used computer...but if you have a model with a removable internal hard drive:

- remove the HD
- install it into an external case
- plug it into a 2nd computer
- access your files

* Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will this work? (Laptop Comparison Question) | Sudden Death »