New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Which Mac for Logic pro 9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digiplay

digiplay is on a distinguished road

Hello guys!!

As previously discussed, I have a 2012 13" MBP i7 with a 256GB SSD/16GB, running Logic Pro 9.

My best friend (and Guitar Player in my Band) wants to buy a new Mac and Logic Pro 9 for his/our Studio (at his home).

Even though he has admitted he may never do so, he's got in his head "What if i want to record, all at the same time, a Drummer (with six mics), a Bass Player, a Keyboard (in Stereo), a Guitar (him) and a scratch Vocal/".

So this leads to my question as to what Mac to buy.

Please note that he would love to have a MBP, but if a MBP will not work for his above "fantasy" scenario, he doesn't mind going with a Desktop, as he can save a few bucks.

And please note as well, I'm not going to sell him my MBP, as I don't think the Hard Drive is large enough, I got a great deal on it, AND,
I don't like him THAT much

So we've narrowed it do to:

1) 2012 13" MBP i5 2.5GHz/8GB/500GB HD.
2) 2012 21.5" iMac i5 2.7 Quad-core/8GB/1TB HD.
3) 2011 15.4" MBP i7 2.3GHz Quad-core/8GB/750GB HD

So which one should he go with?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Go with 1 or 3. Stay away from the 2012 21.5" iMac. It's a nice looking machine and it's fast, but a nightmare to work on and can not be upgraded. Also, take a look at the latest Mac Mini models. They're nice machines for the price and since he intends to use it at home, it would be ideal. Add a monitor and keyboard and you're in business.
QUOTE Thanks
digiplay

digiplay is on a distinguished road

Which Mac Mini would you suggest?

Also, will all the listed computer options let him record 11 tracks at one time?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Which Mac Mini would you suggest?
The more expensive model (core i7) with the 1 TB hard drive. It's stock with 4 GB of memory but I would bring that up to the max, 16 GB. But don't buy the memory from Apple. After market memory is less expensive.

Quote:
Also, will all the listed computer options let him record 11 tracks at one time?
Someone else will have to answer that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I sell parts? | Problem with my Mac »