New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook display cable problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

legendarymugen

legendarymugen is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a late 2009 macbook pro, 13inch and the display has been acting up lately. The description of the problem is as follows: the screen will turn white or freeze unless I manually adjust the lcd screen. It has to be in a certain position otherwise the screen freezes and turns white. Though the screen freezes, the computer itself does not.

I figure that this is a display cable issue, so I opened it up but I couldnt see anything that is crimped or anything. So my question is, would replacing this cable solve my problem or are there other issues that I do not know of? I searched the forums, but usually it seems that the issue is the display cable.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Your diagnosis sure sounds like a cracked/crimped cable. Going through the hinge this is a pretty common fault. Turning white/grey shows it is not a backlight problem.Guess the only way to find out is replace the cable. Make sure you get the precise cable. Fingers crossed.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/8...lay+Data+Cable

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
legendarymugen

legendarymugen is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I figured that the problem was the cable itself. Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery life | How do I sell parts? »