New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air - Identify 'Other' Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mss Claudia

Mss Claudia is on a distinguished road

hello all.

This is Claudia's Dad here and just helping out creating her first post on this forurm.

Her school macbook air has 25.75GB of 'Other' files listed as part of the total storage capacity of 60.7GB.

I need to free up more space on this small Flash HDD.

How to identify this 'other' lot of files so i can possibly delete some unused files?

also - more tips on optimising space on this laptop and make it faster?

Claudia's Dad.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...-7-10-8-a.html

The MBA has a SSD drive, there is no need for any "optimizing" of disk space to make it faster.

-------------------------
edit:
The only cleaning utility recommended here is Onyx.
While I run it perhaps once every 2-4 months on my mechanical drives, I have not really found the need (as it relates to the speed of my MBA) to run it at all.
(Having said that, I have used it to clear out some of the junk, I think twice in the just over 2 years I've had my current MBA.)
And I am a speed junky - I typically notice the slightest change in the speed of my computers.

edit 2:
With that small size drive, would recommend getting an external drive for additional storage of amy music, video, etc. type files along with a backup drive if she doesn't already have one. Backup, backup, backup...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mss Claudia

many thanks bobtomay.

will take on board your references.

we have an external hdd connected but it cannot be found for some reasons?

she had it working 1 day ago - perfectly fine.

thoughts?

Dad
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Cannot be found where?

It doesn't appear on the Desktop, in Finder or Disk Utility does not see it?

QUOTE Thanks
Mss Claudia

that's correct - nowhere to be found.

but it could be found yesterday and workign fine.

Dad
QUOTE Thanks
Mss Claudia

also, we located some 'other' files - word files and cannot delete them.

tried dragging to trashhcan - no luck.

tried right click - no luck.

thoughts?

Dad
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

It is plugged into external power?
Or is this drive connected only via and is suppose to get it's power from the USB port?
If the latter, is the MBA plugged in to power?

Shut down the MBA - unplug the external - reboot and try again.

QUOTE Thanks
Mss Claudia

the latter - will shut down the mba now and reboot

back soon
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Make sure none of the files are in use.
I would "assume" with word documents, you've opened them to verify what they were and are safe to delete.
Did you "quit" Word prior to attempting to delete them?

Has she emptied out the downloads folder? the trash?

With some pesky files - boot to safe mode and try deleting them from there.
This should be an extremely rare need.

QUOTE Thanks
Mss Claudia

still no external drive appearing

can only view word documents if word is open. do not know how to access files without going into word at this stage.

no files are in use and trash has been emptied.

Dad
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You can't delete a file that is open or "in use".
You need to close the files - open the Finder and delete them from there.
I would guess in .doc files would be in the Documents folder.

Is the MBA plugged in to power?
Have you tried the other USB port?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Running 10.8.2? Have my ways. Would also suggest getting into the habit (perhaps once a week) of checking for updates and keep the software up to date - the current version is 10.8.4. Open the App Store app and head for the Updates tab.

QUOTE Thanks
Mss Claudia

ok - will try.

what is the normal extension of word files created in the word mac format (sorry i am normally a MS windows user.. ??? :-(

yes, the mba is plugged into ac power.

yes, other usb port has been used.

trials and tribualtions..... :-(

Dad.
QUOTE Thanks
Mss Claudia

yes - just found out it is 10.8.2 - now updating to current version OS..

Dad.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

??? Have never owned an external drive that got it's power only from USB port, so, if Disk Utility does not show the drive, I can only grasp at straws from here.

Files will have the same extension as they do in Windows. File extensions are the same across operating systems. However, like Windows, they are not shown by default. Can only suggest opening Finder and browsing through her user account - Documents folder, Pictures, etc. or get one of the apps listed in the link provided in my first post above. Cleaning out documents, however, is not going to free up much space unless she has boatloads of them.

And same as in Windows, if she's storing a bunch of stuff on the desktop instead of in folders where stuff belongs, that is still a bad idea.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Water damaged Macbook pro | Searching For Broken Macbook Pro/Air Unibody »