New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How to connect MBP to LCD Monitor (No mini display / dvi port, only thunderbolt)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pixieee

pixieee is on a distinguished road

What connector/s should I buy? Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

For the purposes of connecting to another monitor/TV, the TB port is a mini-displayport.

You would therefore use a mini-displayport to DVI cable or an adapter and DVI-D cable.

Check monoprice.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pixieee

Will it carry sound?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No...

DVI does not carry audio.

You will need to connect separate audio cables - assuming it has speakers.
That monitor does not have a video port that carries audio via the same cable.
Based on the info you provided above, the monitor has no audio input.

QUOTE Thanks
pixieee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
No...

DVI does not carry audio.

You will need to connect separate audio cables - assuming it has speakers.
That monitor does not have a video port that carries audio via the same cable.
Based on the info you provided above, the monitor has no audio input.
Oh that's a bummer. :/ But thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Alternative option: buy an Apple TV. You can mirror your screen on the LCD monitor through the Apple TV (video and sound) using AirPlay (so fully wirelessly) plus you get all the other benefits of an Apple TV!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Alternative option: buy an Apple TV. You can mirror your screen on the LCD monitor through the Apple TV (video and sound) using AirPlay (so fully wirelessly) plus you get all the other benefits of an Apple TV!
This is not a valid option with the monitor the op has listed since the ATV requires an HDMI connection and his monitor does not have an HDMI port.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Doh! Thanks sir, good catch.

However there is a product from Roku that will work with "analog" TVs that don't have HDMI for about the same price. Not quite as nice as the Apple TV but similar.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

It still won't send audio through the video cable. A separate audio cable will be required with every video connection available on the ops monitor - no matter what device he tries to connect to it.

Only mini displayport / displayport, HDMI and Thunderbolt are capable of carrying both audio and video at this time.

Best option for the above monitor is DVI-D and a separate audio cable if the monitor even has speakers, which at this point we don't know. If it is a true computer "monitor" and based on the specs listed, it likely does not have any speakers and thus no audio input.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with my Mac | MacBook overheating and fan spinning too fast »