New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook VERY loud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

george14pk

george14pk is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I have a Macbook pro (Model A1226 - 2007).
Basically it died a few months ago so i took it the apple store and they said it was the logicboard (and this problem is common with macs from 2007-8). The fix was to buy a new logic board, which i couldnt afford. (Mac turns on but black screen) So after looking online for other solutions i discovered the 'oven trick'. Basically you remove the logic board and place it in the oven for about 7 mins i also removed the thermal compound and reapplied some new compound. I then put it all back together and it turns back on!! Everything works fine and normally! Except when starting up it stays on the apple screen (with a spinning wheel) for about 1 minute. But the main problem is the fans! They are so loud all of a sudden. Very loud. I have some software which says my system is only at around 40c, but the fans are at 6000rpm, not sure if thats normal or not. Anywy whats wrong with my fans? I have tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM, but doing that didnt help. What caused this?( and try to refrain from saying because you put it into the oven). What can i do to fix this? i took lots of care while taking it apart and putting it all back together etc. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Since you're sufficiently out of warranty and nicely "cooked" any warranty you might have had.. You can try https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol to control the fans yourself and keep them at a lower level to manage the noise..

When you cooked the logicboard, you probably cooked the thermal sensors that the fans use to figure out the temps and determine how fast to run..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

As Razoredge mentioned. The "oven trick" may have helped something...while damaging something else.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I promise I won't mention the oven. Ooops.

Anyway, congrats to you on fixing the logic board issue, however temporarily. You're braver that I would have been in the same situation!

As I am sure you are well aware by now, a 2007 computer is going to be an increasing headache due to significant advances in technology. You were clever and able to prolong its life a bit, but six years on the bottom line is that its time to start saving for a new(er) machine.

Given that you are obviously quite canny I have little doubt that the suggestions above will help you stretch the machine a bit further but its a band-aid and not a fix. The fix is a newer machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloading torrents and battery life on macbook air? | MacBook Pro with Retina »