New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nextiger

nextiger is on a distinguished road

Following my recent struggles with my old Macbook, I think it's time to buy a new comp. I was hoping someone here could recommend what would be best suited for my needs.

I basically use the computer for surfing the web and other normal daily activities. I watch movies on the computer quite a bit and also hook up my computer to my tv to watch movies and streaming events over the internet. I don't do any video editing or photo editing or anything really that is CPU intensive.

What Im confused about is if I really would need the upgraded video card in the 15" MBP. Is this necessary when all I will be doing is hooking up my computer to a tv or watching movies?

I would prefer to stay with the 13" but I don't want to regret not getting enough power.

I've also looked at getting a MBAir for the awesome battery power, but Im not really too familiar with them and Im pretty sure I want the Retina screen.

I had originally looked at getting an older model MBP because I wanted to be able to upgrade the Ram and HD but Im not sure Im really comfortable with buying used off of Ebay and there doesn't really seem to be any good deals in the Refurb section right now.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If retina is a requirement for you, then you have to stick with the rMBP's and the 13" indeed would do everything you want and more..

However, do check out the 13" MBA as a comparison point since it will do everything you want but doesn't have the Retina, but if you're going to connecting to the TV more often then that isn't going to be a problem for you..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
nextiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
If retina is a requirement for you, then you have to stick with the rMBP's and the 13" indeed would do everything you want and more..

However, do check out the 13" MBA as a comparison point since it will do everything you want but doesn't have the Retina, but if you're going to connecting to the TV more often then that isn't going to be a problem for you..

So Im guessing, based on your reply, that the only people who would really need the upgraded video card are those who play games and/or do video editing? Is this true?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yeah, any application that requires heavy duty graphics support, games, video editing and CAD fall into that category would definitely benefit from the upgraded graphics card. That doesn't mean that you can't run those programs on the lower models, it's just that you won't get the same kind of performance..

On the other hand, watching movies and so on, the regular graphics card is fine for that..and even browsing the web..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The new MacBook Air 13" and 11" models have the latest Intel Graphics chipset built in; the HD 5000 which should provide very good performance for games and other programs like CAD.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

From the computing activities you listed...a 13" MacBook Pro or 13" MacBook Air would be fine.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Yodda_Hunter

Yodda_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (i5)

myself i don't recommend other than the standard Macbook Pro. it has a lot of features which unavailable in the Retina. the new air looks cool but alos it shouldn't give performance like the pro's performance
QUOTE Thanks
nextiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodda_Hunter View Post
myself i don't recommend other than the standard Macbook Pro. it has a lot of features which unavailable in the Retina. the new air looks cool but alos it shouldn't give performance like the pro's performance
This is confusing to me. What features do the regular, non retina, macbook pros offer that the retina models do not?

If going with the 13" MBP Retina, would it beneficial to me to upgrade to the i7, or would that be a waste of money for what I would use it for?
QUOTE Thanks
Yodda_Hunter

Yodda_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (i5)

Why to buy a standard MacBook Pro (non Retina) - YouTube

that should explain a lot
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextiger View Post
If going with the 13" MBP Retina, would it beneficial to me to upgrade to the i7, or would that be a waste of money for what I would use it for?
You've already had recommendations for the entry level MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. Either of these computers will be fine for the activities you listed.

What you're REALLY paying for between the "regular" MacBook Pro's and the retina MacBook Pro's is the more expensive...higher resolution display.

If you carefully look at the graphics and cpu specs of the 13" MacBook Pro's and the 13" retina MacBook Pro's...you will see that the cpu and graphics specs are virually the same. Thus very similar "computing power".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1 to what Nick said and this:

The new MacBook Air has better graphics capability than the Retina machines do. The Retina machines have the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU while the new MacBook Air machines have the Intel HD 5000 GPU which is twice as fast. Also, the MacBook Air has the new Intel Haswell chipset which in conjunction with a better battery will give you around 12 to 14 hours of use on the 13" model.

That's a "no brainer" choice to me.
QUOTE Thanks
nextiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
+1 to what Nick said and this:

The new MacBook Air has better graphics capability than the Retina machines do. The Retina machines have the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU while the new MacBook Air machines have the Intel HD 5000 GPU which is twice as fast. Also, the MacBook Air has the new Intel Haswell chipset which in conjunction with a better battery will give you around 12 to 14 hours of use on the 13" model.

That's a "no brainer" choice to me.
If only the MBA came with a Retina screen, then it for sure would be a no brainer, lol. Of course, then Im sure that it wouldn't have to battery life that it does.

I've obviously never owned a Retina machine besides my iPhone, and the MBA is very enticing to me, I just feel like the Retina screen is something you "must" get. Im gonna go check them out and see if I could do without the Retina screen. If so, then Ill for sure go with the MBA.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Following my recent struggles with my old Macbook, I think it's time to buy a new comp. I was hoping someone here could recommend what would be best suited for my needs.

I basically use the computer for surfing the web and other normal daily activities. I watch movies on the computer quite a bit and also hook up my computer to my tv to watch movies and streaming events over the internet. I don't do any video editing or photo editing or anything really that is CPU intensive.

What Im confused about is if I really would need the upgraded video card in the 15" MBP. Is this necessary when all I will be doing is hooking up my computer to a tv or watching movies?

I would prefer to stay with the 13" but I don't want to regret not getting enough power.

I've also looked at getting a MBAir for the awesome battery power, but Im not really too familiar with them and Im pretty sure I want the Retina screen.

I had originally looked at getting an older model MBP because I wanted to be able to upgrade the Ram and HD but Im not sure Im really comfortable with buying used off of Ebay and there doesn't really seem to be any good deals in the Refurb section right now.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Nowhere here have you mentioned the NEED to have it as a mobile platform ?? So if you don't need a mobile platform, why not go the Mac Mini as they have a LOT of Power now and it will be forever hooked up to your TV and then invest in a Apple BT KeyBoard and TrackPad and couple them together with a TwelveSouth Magic Wand ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
nextiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Nowhere here have you mentioned the NEED to have it as a mobile platform ?? So if you don't need a mobile platform, why not go the Mac Mini as they have a LOT of Power now and it will be forever hooked up to your TV and then invest in a Apple BT KeyBoard and TrackPad and couple them together with a TwelveSouth Magic Wand ??
Sorry, I guess that was just implied by me asking advice on laptops. It definitely has to be mobile. I spend half of my life in hotel rooms, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Sorry, I guess that was just implied by me asking advice on laptops. It definitely has to be mobile. I spend half of my life in hotel rooms, lol.
Many many people come on here asking advice just like you, and they always mention MB, MBA, MBP's without really thinking about it, or just because they are a nice looking machine, without implying if they need it for mobility or not. Once you explain it to them the power of the Mac Mini, they stop dead and start to think about what they really need, or want.
Because you where talking about portables, doesn't in any way imply you need one for mobility, and nowhere did you imply you travel, or live in hotel rooms your life, so recommending a Mac Mini has its grounds.
But now you have said you need a mobile device, ill leave it at that, because the boys above me are doing a good job in explaining things and giving sound advice.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Crazy trackpad/mouse (MacBook Pro mid-2009) | Dim keys on early MacBook Pro »