New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Logic Board

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beloved_autumn

beloved_autumn is on a distinguished road

Hello! I am not sure if this is where I am supposed to post this, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro that is overheating, freezing, and sporadically unable to find internet connections. When it is working properly, it is a great computer; however, it has unexpected fits that hint at broken-ness. I have read from multiple sources that this may be the cause of a faulty logic board.

Does anyone know the price on the replacement/repair of said logic board?
Is it worth repairing?
I really need this computer to last me through college...and if the repair is too much or won't last, I need to know so I can decide if I am going to have to tough it in the PC world for a bit.

Any help is appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved_autumn View Post
I have a 2009 Macbook Pro that is overheating, freezing, and sporadically unable to find internet connections. When it is working properly, it is a great computer; however, it has unexpected fits that hint at broken-ness. I have read from multiple sources that this may be the cause of a faulty logic board.

Does anyone know the price on the replacement/repair of said logic board?
Is it worth repairing?
If the MacBook Pro is overheating...the first thing I would do is open it up...and give it a good cleaning. It may simply be clogged with dirt/fuzz...greatly reducing the cooling efficiency of the computer.

It's also possible that the fan is not working.

As far as the replacement logic board...it will cost you a lot more than you think (probably at least $500 if you have Apple do it)...and with a 4 year-old computer...that would be a large % of it's current value (if it was working 100%)...and probably not worth it.

But first open the computer up & clean it with "canned air" before doing anything else.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Battery | Changing to SSD? »