New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Don't know much, please fill me in.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gordy77

First of all I am new here so if this is not in the correct forum please move it or do tell me where i can repost it.

Next is that I am not only new here but I am semi new to the Mac world. I have owned a Pc forever and I am very familiar with them. But I have worked on a Mac at school for hundred of tasks (used mostly all the adobe programs) and I know them pretty well. I will be leaving for collage this summer and I plan on taking my PC, but I am looking at a laptop as well. This is where I need some advice. If apple is not the path for me please tell me so and try to avoid being fan boys.

Anyways I am looking at the Macbook Pro as of now, they have a nice look to them too. So far they have everything I need for collage and personal interest. But I am usually a gamer and this is something I have noticed Macs tend to lack. Now I have looked around at this Virtual PC and Guest PC. Supposidly they allow me to install window based program on macs. Are these any good and do they actually work? will the macbook pro even have enough power to run these programs? If not thes programs is there any other ways or programs you can suggest for me to allow these macs to run PC games.

Also Maybe some tips as to why I should get a mac instead of the PC? Do they really have anything that is much better. Also Since I will not be getting this laptop for a while does anyone know what apple might have in the future (next 6 months) of their notebooks.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy77
First of all I am new here so if this is not in the correct forum please move it or do tell me where i can repost it.

Next is that I am not only new here but I am semi new to the Mac world.
As am I. I bought a Mac Mini about 5 weeks ago, and it's my first Mac. So, I think I can field a few questions, but the veterans should most certainly jump in and correct or add to what I post.

<snip>

Quote:
Anyways I am looking at the Macbook Pro as of now, they have a nice look to them too. So far they have everything I need for collage and personal interest. But I am usually a gamer and this is something I have noticed Macs tend to lack.
I believe you're correct in noting that Mac's aren't typically the choice of gamers. But, why not invest in a game console, and save whichever machines you end up with for all other tasks. I am not a gamer, but I'm pretty confident you'd need to throw a lot of cash at a box that runs either O/S, to do what a $400 game console can probably do better. Again though, I'm not a gamer. That's just an assumption on my part.

Quote:
Now I have looked around at this Virtual PC and Guest PC. Supposidly they allow me to install window based program on macs. Are these any good and do they actually work? will the macbook pro even have enough power to run these programs? If not thes programs is there any other ways or programs you can suggest for me to allow these macs to run PC games.
Why even bother running Windows apps on the Mac? In the 5 weeks or so that I've had this Mac, I don't think I've sat in front of the Windows machine more than just a few times, and none of them were out of true necessity. I have found apps in the Mac world that cover all of the functions/apps I use in the Windows world. I'm sure there may be a few cases where Virtual PC is an absolute necessity, but if there's any truth to my assumption that it takes a lot of "horsepower" to run games on a Windows box in the first place, I think you'll *really* be disappointed running them through an emulator on a Mac.

Quote:
Also Maybe some tips as to why I should get a mac instead of the PC? Do they really have anything that is much better. Also Since I will not be getting this laptop for a while does anyone know what apple might have in the future (next 6 months) of their notebooks.
Thanks!
Actually, based on the feel I get from what you want to do with your machine(s), I think you're better off with a Windows machine. My impression so far, is that what Macs offer that's better, more than anything, is the user experience. If you're considering a Mac with the intention of remaining rooted in the Windows world, but with a different "wrapper" around it, then I think you're probably better off not getting one.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Gordy77

Well thanks for your help. But i might have worded a few things wrong. I actually want to try to get into the mac world, the only real reason I want to get an emulator is to run PC games. Otherwise I want to get to know the mac. Anyways I won an xbox 360 in that mountain dew contest . I just might want to enjoy a few games no matter where I am.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

From what I have read here, and you can search the board to verify. You don't want to use an emulator to play games. You will not be happy with your gaming experience.

You need to look at your priorities. If gaming is first on your list then a PC maybe better for you.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AHHHH Black lines on the iBook.... a quick easy way to get rid of them. | Reformat or not? »