Dust inside screen?
    My Mac is over 2 years old, so maybe this is why I dunno.

But there's a noticeable on light backgrounds dust dot in the MIDDLE of the fricken screen. I can see it when the comp is off

How did it get to the middle of the screen? And how come if it got to the middle of the screen it won't move to the bottom or top so it's not as much as an annoyance?

Anyway was wondering if anyone else had problems with dust in the screen. I know some people know how to remove the screen but I do not want to try that as I'd mess it up. Could you have your comp sent to apple to fix? Has anyone tried a method that works? I've tried shaking it a little (I'm careful) to see if the dust would move but it is stuck in place. Again if it won't move now how did it ever get there in the middle to begin with?
    MacBook Pro, 35 month old Macbook

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

Got the AppleCare 3 year extended warranty by any chance for Apple to work on nit? If not have a look at this link and the thread to ifixit for doing it yourself if you gets really annoying.

There is Hope for iMac 27" Display - Black Spots/Smudges/Dust in the display fixed! - MacRumors Forums
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thanks! I don't have that sadly. And while I would love to fix it by myself I am to clumsy and I wouldn't want to risk breaking the screen.

I wish I knew how much apple would charge to take the screen off, get the dust off, and put back on. I don't any apple stores near me, but I do believe you can mail it to them? I dunno. Ugh I guess I can live with it, I only see it in light backgrounds.

But ugh it drives me nuts how did it get to the middle of the screen? if it got to the middle surely it should move to the bottom but it won't budge.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnypelt View Post
    I wish I knew how much apple would charge to take the screen off, get the dust off, and put back on. I don't any apple stores near me, but I do believe you can mail it to them? I dunno. Ugh I guess I can live with it, I only see it in light backgrounds.
    Apple will only replace the display clamshell, it is not an Apple recognised procedure to dismantle and fix. Removing the glass is only a DIY fix.
    Steve
    UK

oh so I guess apple wouldn't do it anyway? DIY fix? I am so bad at understanding this sort of stuff. Is there somewhere else I could take it?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnypelt View Post
    oh so I guess apple wouldn't do it anyway? DIY fix? I am so bad at understanding this sort of stuff. Is there somewhere else I could take it?
    DIY, do it yourself. There are companies/individuals independent from Apple who advertise cracked glass replacement via the web. They should be able to remove, clean and replace. Quality can vary, I've seen displays were the glass has been replaced with fingerprints and dust under the glass.
    Steve
    UK

Specs:
    rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
    If you have the "older" iMac its actually quite easy to remove the front glass. It is only held by magnets so it is possible to jam your fingernails (if they are strong) between the glass and the frame to remove the front glass panel.

Then you should be able to clean it.

It gathers dust fast though and you have to be careful if you are going to clean the LCD. Use some high quality microfibre cloth..

If you had lived in Norway you could have dropped your computer where I work and I could have cleaned it for you cheap!
    My Blog: Apple Laptops

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    At first I thought he was referring to an iMac, but it appears it's his MacBook Pro that has the dust between the glass and the LCD. He's probably better off having a professional do it for him.

Specs:
    rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
    Oh... I thought it was an iMac.

Then its a whole other issue yes. Probably have to replace the display assembly then.
    My Blog: Apple Laptops

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    At first I thought he was referring to an iMac, but it appears it's his MacBook Pro that has the dust between the glass and the LCD. He's probably better off having a professional do it for him.
    WOW...I was thinking the exact same thing (before reading your post Charlie)!!!...then I reread the OP's first post (that detail was at the very end of the post).

I don't think I can remember anyone having issues with dust on the inside of a MacBook Pro display.

I just checked the iFixit.com procedure...and the display glass is held in with adhesive (need to use a hair dryer blowing hot air to remove the glass)...I'm not sure I would want to do this...Step 15 of the procedure below:

Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 LCD - Page 2 - iFixit

With the display glass held in with adhesive...I'm really not sure how dust would get behind the glass. Unless the dust got in there from the factory before the display panel was completely assembled.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Actually Nick if you read his post a couple of times, it looks like he's got a dead pixel or maybe more in the middle of his screen. He's probably mistaking it for dust. I agree with you that it's near impossible for dust to get between the glass and LCD especially since the glass is glued on.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Actually Nick if you read his post a couple of times, it looks like he's got a dead pixel or maybe more in the middle of his screen. He's probably mistaking it for dust.
    Yes agreed. A dead pixel would make much much more sense...and probably more common than dust!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I'm not sadly. When the computer is off and I turn on a flashlight I can see a dust dot stuck inside the screen. I think it's there for good, though it's beyond me how it reached the middle of the screen in the first place.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    My son has a little dust under the glass of his Alu MacBook. No idea how it's got there with the way the display is put together
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thread Information