New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Dust inside screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tawnypelt

Tawnypelt is on a distinguished road

My Mac is over 2 years old, so maybe this is why I dunno.

But there's a noticeable on light backgrounds dust dot in the MIDDLE of the fricken screen. I can see it when the comp is off

How did it get to the middle of the screen? And how come if it got to the middle of the screen it won't move to the bottom or top so it's not as much as an annoyance?

Anyway was wondering if anyone else had problems with dust in the screen. I know some people know how to remove the screen but I do not want to try that as I'd mess it up. Could you have your comp sent to apple to fix? Has anyone tried a method that works? I've tried shaking it a little (I'm careful) to see if the dust would move but it is stuck in place. Again if it won't move now how did it ever get there in the middle to begin with?
MacBook Pro, 35 month old Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Got the AppleCare 3 year extended warranty by any chance for Apple to work on nit? If not have a look at this link and the thread to ifixit for doing it yourself if you gets really annoying.

There is Hope for iMac 27" Display - Black Spots/Smudges/Dust in the display fixed! - MacRumors Forums

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Tawnypelt

Thanks! I don't have that sadly. And while I would love to fix it by myself I am to clumsy and I wouldn't want to risk breaking the screen.

I wish I knew how much apple would charge to take the screen off, get the dust off, and put back on. I don't any apple stores near me, but I do believe you can mail it to them? I dunno. Ugh I guess I can live with it, I only see it in light backgrounds.

But ugh it drives me nuts how did it get to the middle of the screen? if it got to the middle surely it should move to the bottom but it won't budge.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnypelt View Post
I wish I knew how much apple would charge to take the screen off, get the dust off, and put back on. I don't any apple stores near me, but I do believe you can mail it to them? I dunno. Ugh I guess I can live with it, I only see it in light backgrounds.
Apple will only replace the display clamshell, it is not an Apple recognised procedure to dismantle and fix. Removing the glass is only a DIY fix.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Tawnypelt

oh so I guess apple wouldn't do it anyway? DIY fix? I am so bad at understanding this sort of stuff. Is there somewhere else I could take it?
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnypelt View Post
oh so I guess apple wouldn't do it anyway? DIY fix? I am so bad at understanding this sort of stuff. Is there somewhere else I could take it?
DIY, do it yourself. There are companies/individuals independent from Apple who advertise cracked glass replacement via the web. They should be able to remove, clean and replace. Quality can vary, I've seen displays were the glass has been replaced with fingerprints and dust under the glass.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

If you have the "older" iMac its actually quite easy to remove the front glass. It is only held by magnets so it is possible to jam your fingernails (if they are strong) between the glass and the frame to remove the front glass panel.

Then you should be able to clean it.

It gathers dust fast though and you have to be careful if you are going to clean the LCD. Use some high quality microfibre cloth..

If you had lived in Norway you could have dropped your computer where I work and I could have cleaned it for you cheap!

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

At first I thought he was referring to an iMac, but it appears it's his MacBook Pro that has the dust between the glass and the LCD. He's probably better off having a professional do it for him.
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Oh... I thought it was an iMac.

Then its a whole other issue yes. Probably have to replace the display assembly then.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
At first I thought he was referring to an iMac, but it appears it's his MacBook Pro that has the dust between the glass and the LCD. He's probably better off having a professional do it for him.
WOW...I was thinking the exact same thing (before reading your post Charlie)!!!...then I reread the OP's first post (that detail was at the very end of the post).

I don't think I can remember anyone having issues with dust on the inside of a MacBook Pro display.

I just checked the iFixit.com procedure...and the display glass is held in with adhesive (need to use a hair dryer blowing hot air to remove the glass)...I'm not sure I would want to do this...Step 15 of the procedure below:

Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 LCD - Page 2 - iFixit

With the display glass held in with adhesive...I'm really not sure how dust would get behind the glass. Unless the dust got in there from the factory before the display panel was completely assembled.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Actually Nick if you read his post a couple of times, it looks like he's got a dead pixel or maybe more in the middle of his screen. He's probably mistaking it for dust. I agree with you that it's near impossible for dust to get between the glass and LCD especially since the glass is glued on.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Actually Nick if you read his post a couple of times, it looks like he's got a dead pixel or maybe more in the middle of his screen. He's probably mistaking it for dust.
Yes agreed. A dead pixel would make much much more sense...and probably more common than dust!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Tawnypelt

I'm not sadly. When the computer is off and I turn on a flashlight I can see a dust dot stuck inside the screen. I think it's there for good, though it's beyond me how it reached the middle of the screen in the first place.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

My son has a little dust under the glass of his Alu MacBook. No idea how it's got there with the way the display is put together

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard-drive died; how likely is it that other components now start to fail? | Anyone used this memory? »