New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008): new hard drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dadoprso

dadoprso is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have a MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) that needs a new hard drive.

Please point me in the right direction (forum, blog post, etc.) to solve the following questions:
Is it possible for me to put an SSD in this machine?
Will any SSD work?
If not SSD, are there specific Hard Drives that this Mac needs?

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A SSD will work in that machine. For a selection of SSDs and other hard drives, go to the Other World Computing site and look over what they have. Here is the LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
dadoprso

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
A SSD will work in that machine. For a selection of SSDs and other hard drives, go to the Other World Computing site and look over what they have. Here is the LINK.
Does it matter if it is SATA 1 2 or 3?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It doesn't matter as the drive speed will fall back to whatever your 2008 MacBook can sustain.
QUOTE Thanks
Dwinguel

Dwinguel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP Retina, 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoprso View Post
Does it matter if it is SATA 1 2 or 3?
Yes SATA 2 is faster than SATA 1 (3Gb/s vs 1.5Gb/s). Your machine is using SATA 2. I believe you can install SATA 3 on your machine since SATA 3 is backward compatible with SATA 2, but you won't get the speed benefits of SATA 3 since the bus going to the hard drive is SATA 2.
QUOTE Thanks
dadoprso

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It doesn't matter as the drive speed will fall back to whatever your 2008 MacBook can sustain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwinguel View Post
Yes SATA 2 is faster than SATA 1 (3Gb/s vs 1.5Gb/s). Your machine is using SATA 2. I believe you can install SATA 3 on your machine since SATA 3 is backward compatible with SATA 2, but you won't get the speed benefits of SATA 3 since the bus going to the hard drive is SATA 2.
Awesome! thanks you guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to boot up 17" MacBook Pro 2006 vintage | Need help formatting my external hard drive »