MacBook Pro Retina Storage
    I just bought a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I am still trying to get used to the small storage space. I have the 512GB SSD. I managed to use all but 131GB of my storage. When I check my storage, it says most of it is "Other". I'm not on my MBP right now, so I'm not sure how much is taken up by other. It's a lot though. How do I get rid of the stuff that's taking up all of this space? I use external drives for everything but apps. Any advice?

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Use the excellent program Disk Inventory X to get a graphical representation of your disk contents. The larger the image, the larger the file, so see where they are and move/delete what you don't need..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thank you very much! I will try it out...

Geneva, Switzerland
    MBP Retina, 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M
    Also part of the storage is used by OS X to store the content of the RAM when going into sleep mode. This means that if you have 16 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage will be used for that purpose. Also, the OS will store typically a few swap images weighting 1GB in the same location. These images are erased when you reboot.

Finally time machine stores mobile backups of your drive locally. This can take a lot of space. The go away when you backup your drive to an external one but will come back between backups. These mobile backups can be deactivated, you can google how to do it if interested.

This stuff is typically "hidden" to the user, but Disk Inventory X will help you find them.

Thread Information