New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro + 27" screen Vs 27" iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brownphone

Brownphone is on a distinguished road

I want to change my 9,1 21" iMac and was planning on a new 27" similar. There's nothing wrong with the existing machine but I need to use CAD and want a larger screen. Someone has suggested to me that a Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt 27" monitor would be as good and more flexible. Does anyone have any thoughts? Cost is not a worry.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownphone View Post
Someone has suggested to me that a Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt 27" monitor would be as good and more flexible. Does anyone have any thoughts? Cost is not a worry.
It's certainly more flexible. if you need portability..."Portable a 27" iMac is not!"...(says Yoda).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

Thanks - portability was the idea. What I need to know is whether this portability comes at the cost of performance or would I not notice the difference on day to day activities?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownphone View Post
Thanks - portability was the idea. What I need to know is whether this portability comes at the cost of performance or would I not notice the difference on day to day activities?
Since the Geekbench on your current iMac is ~ 3600 and the lowest 2012 version 13 in MBP has a Geekbench of 6690 (10,841 on the 15 in Model), no, you shouldn't notice a performance hit.

EDIT: Depending on how hard the CAD software hits the Graphics the 13 in MBP may be slower since it lacks a dedicated GPU. For CAD or other Graphics intensive work I would go with the 15 in MBP.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

After parking on the wrong side of an unfamiliar mall, and having to haul a new 27 inch iMac about ten miles, I can definitely say that it is not portable. By a long shot.

You may take a horsepower hit on the MBP over the iMac. Depends on how intense your CAD is.

However, I used a MBP and TB display for a considerable time as a desktop. Worked fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

Thanks both - this is what I needed to know. Having considered everything I think I will go with the 27" iMac because I like the one I have and the portability of the other arrangement isn't such a huge advantage - in fact I'd probably leave it on the train!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You might want to hold on for awhile before purchasing that 27" TB display. New ones are due out soon and should have improvements - such as USB 3 ports instead of USB 2 and a low glare display.
QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

I has heard that the current 27" iMac was due for upgrade. I didn't know about USB3 or the screen alterations but had heard the processor was due to be upgraded. Any ideas on when this might be likely to happen?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I wouldn't expect to see the iMacs upgraded anytime soon. Of course one can never tell with Apple..... the iMac currently is in the middle of its life after the last upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recognizing USB devices on Macbook Pro 10.6.6 | MacBook won't start »