Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Macbook Pro + 27" screen Vs 27" iMac? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/300130-macbook-pro-27-screen-vs-27-imac.html)

Brownphone 06-19-2013 04:00 AM

Macbook Pro + 27" screen Vs 27" iMac?

I want to change my 9,1 21" iMac and was planning on a new 27" similar. There's nothing wrong with the existing machine but I need to use CAD and want a larger screen. Someone has suggested to me that a Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt 27" monitor would be as good and more flexible. Does anyone have any thoughts? Cost is not a worry.

pigoo3 06-19-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownphone (Post 1521679)
Someone has suggested to me that a Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt 27" monitor would be as good and more flexible. Does anyone have any thoughts? Cost is not a worry.

It's certainly more flexible. if you need portability..."Portable a 27" iMac is not!"...(says Yoda).;)

- Nick

Brownphone 06-19-2013 07:35 AM

Thanks - portability was the idea. What I need to know is whether this portability comes at the cost of performance or would I not notice the difference on day to day activities?

RavingMac 06-19-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownphone (Post 1521697)
Thanks - portability was the idea. What I need to know is whether this portability comes at the cost of performance or would I not notice the difference on day to day activities?

Since the Geekbench on your current iMac is ~ 3600 and the lowest 2012 version 13 in MBP has a Geekbench of 6690 (10,841 on the 15 in Model), no, you shouldn't notice a performance hit.

EDIT: Depending on how hard the CAD software hits the Graphics the 13 in MBP may be slower since it lacks a dedicated GPU. For CAD or other Graphics intensive work I would go with the 15 in MBP.

cptkrf 06-19-2013 10:31 AM

After parking on the wrong side of an unfamiliar mall, and having to haul a new 27 inch iMac about ten miles, I can definitely say that it is not portable. By a long shot.

You may take a horsepower hit on the MBP over the iMac. Depends on how intense your CAD is.

However, I used a MBP and TB display for a considerable time as a desktop. Worked fine.

Brownphone 06-19-2013 10:39 AM

Thanks both - this is what I needed to know. Having considered everything I think I will go with the 27" iMac because I like the one I have and the portability of the other arrangement isn't such a huge advantage - in fact I'd probably leave it on the train!

chscag 06-19-2013 02:49 PM

You might want to hold on for awhile before purchasing that 27" TB display. New ones are due out soon and should have improvements - such as USB 3 ports instead of USB 2 and a low glare display.

Brownphone 06-20-2013 12:26 AM

I has heard that the current 27" iMac was due for upgrade. I didn't know about USB3 or the screen alterations but had heard the processor was due to be upgraded. Any ideas on when this might be likely to happen?

chscag 06-20-2013 02:01 AM

I wouldn't expect to see the iMacs upgraded anytime soon. Of course one can never tell with Apple..... the iMac currently is in the middle of its life after the last upgrade.