New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Looking For Advice On A Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nim6us

nim6us is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at making the leap to Apple, it's just a little expensive. I'm going to get one off of eBay, but I don't know what the least amount of machine is I'll need. It needs to be able to run a Windows VM on it, I'm looking in the 13" size. I just don't understand the model schemes real well, I need to know what model is the lowest I can get away with, with perhaps a memory upgrade. Obviously I want to get the best machine possible, I just need to know the bottom, so I don't get something too under powered. I appreciate any advice!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Well, I'm first assuming w/ the mention of 13" that you are interested in an Apple laptop rather than an iMac? You might want to better define your needs, which will greatly impact on display size (e.g. 11" or 13" for portability vs. a 15" for more intensive office or photographic uses), amount of RAM, and HD type and size?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post

Well, I'm first assuming w/ the mention of 13" that you are interested in an Apple laptop rather than an iMac? You might want to better define your needs, which will greatly impact on display size (e.g. 11" or 13" for portability vs. a 15" for more intensive office or photographic uses), amount of RAM, and HD type and size?
Thread title says "MacBook".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
nim6us

nim6us is on a distinguished road

As Nick so astutely pointed out yes I am looking at a laptop, I think 13" is the perfect size, any smaller and you've got an iPad I didn't mention memory or HD space because typically those two things can be upgraded. I'm more concerned with processor and hardware standards like gigabit ethernet. I'm mainly going to be using it to do network testing and I'd like to run VMware so I could run a Windows VM for troubleshooting. Then personally to surf the net, check email, watch video, no gaming.

I guess I'll just have to use my common sense. I mean it's probably like a Windows box. Anything over 5 years is probably too old, 3 years is going to be more ideal. Maybe this thread was a bad idea, now that I say talked my way through all this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim6us View Post
I guess I'll just have to use my common sense. I mean it's probably like a Windows box. Anything over 5 years is probably too old, 3 years is going to be more ideal. Maybe this thread was a bad idea, now that I say talked my way through all this.
Probably great advice you gave yourself there!

I actually have a 2008 MacBook with 4 gig of ram (5 years old) and it does a pretty good job with most things.

But as computers get older...their used values sort of get "fuzzy" (don't depreciate as quickly). So while a 2008 MacBook maybe worth say $350...for just a "few" bucks more ($400-$450) you could get a 2009 or 2010 MacBook...which may be a bit more powerful.

The key for me (in 2013) is get a MacBook that is upgradeable to at least 4gig of ram (usually 2008 & onwards). Anything less...and you're bound to run into some performance issues.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...when I say "MacBook" I'm talking the 13" White polycarbonate (plastic housing) computer. MacBook Pro's on the other hand have aluminum housing's. Two different models. From a terminology standpoint "MacBook" does not = "MacBook Pro".

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Usb Port Issue | MacBook screen starting to fade. (picture) »