New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Sleeps When Stacked

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes...possibly a very confusing title!

I came across something that I do not think that I have seen mentioned on Mac-Forums...and thought some folks would find interesting.

So about a week ago I purchased a used 13" 2011 MBP. I already had a white 2008 MacBook (which will be going on Craig's List soon).

Anyway...I use the computers in the same place (on my couch while watching TV)...so naturally the two 13" notebooks stack real nicely on top of each other when not in use. White MacBook is on the bottom with the display closed...13" MacBook Pro is on top (with the display open...but sleeping).

When I first sit down on the couch I always tap the space bar of the computer to wake it up (before I pick it up). Well what do I discover...my "new to me" MacBook Pro isn't waking up properly (no video). I press & hold the power button to force it to shut down...I press the power button again to start it up...still no video (I'm doing all this while the two notebooks are stacked on top of each other).

I'm thinking...ugh Ooo...this used 13" MBP I just purchased has a problem!!! So I do a little experimenting...turns out the MacBook Pro works fine if I have it on my lap...but if I place the MBP on top of the sleeping white MacBook...the 2011 MBP goes to sleep.

I did this about 3 times...same results each time. The MBP works fine on my lap...but had a problem when placed on top of my sleeping white MacBook. Confusing...

So I do a little bit of internet searching...and I find this Apple Support document:

Mac notebooks: Magnets in devices may cause computer to sleep unexpectedly

Turns out some Apple laptop computers display this behavior (sleeping unexpectedly & some startup issues)...both of which I was experiencing.

When does it happen? When stacking laptop computers on top of each other...or placing something like an iPhone or an iPad case under or near the palm rests of the laptop.

What causes it? The magnets in the devices (or the devices protective case with magnets in it) activates the automatic sleep feature of the notebook (like when the notebook is put to sleep when the display is closed).

So the solution. Don't stack notebook computers...or let an iPhone or an iPad with a case that has magnets in it near the palm rest area of a powered up notebook computer (models listed in the Apple Support document above).

So I'm glad there was a reasonable explanation to the problem I was having!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Hah! As I was reading this, my first reaction was "Magnets. The body of the one underneath must be triggering a magnetic sensor on the top one and making it think the lid is closed."

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Hah! As I was reading this, my first reaction was "Magnets. The body of the one underneath must be triggering a magnetic sensor on the top one and making it think the lid is closed."
Yes...you got it exactly! Anyone that has "played" with those magnets...knows that they're pretty strong as well. After all...it's the magnet(s) that keep the display closed/secure on Apple notebooks.

Seems very simple once you know the answer! But before that...I was kind of freaking out!!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Amazing. I have never heard of that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Amazing. I have never heard of that.
I hadn't heard about it either...and I was even more surprised to find an Apple Support document...documenting the problem.

I think that it's great to learn something brand new everyday...and even better if it's Apple/Macintosh related!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sandisk SSD Problem a1278 MBP | Buying a MB Air for college student »