New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Should I Wait?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crdolan13

crdolan13 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I am planning to purchase a new 13" 2.9 GHz MacBook Pro (Non retina) this summer before I start professional school in the fall. Since there wasnt any mention of the MacBook Pros at yesterdays keynote do you think its possible there will be an update later this summer? It looks to me that the last major update to this line was June 2012 and I am worried that if I buy my MacBook now a new one will be out in a few months. Should I wait to see if there is an update or is it not worth it? Thanks for your input!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

there will always be upgrades coming down the pipe. cant be stopped, shouldnt be stopped.

Buy one, or wait. no matter what, there will be a newer model coming anyway, and generally sooner than you expect/want.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdolan13 View Post
Should I wait to see if there is an update or is it not worth it? Thanks for your input!
Someone purchasing a new computer is ALWAYS concerned about something new coming out right after they purchase something. About the only thing you can do is wait as long as you can...until you absolutely MUST buy something (in this case for school).

Maybe Apple comes out with something in July, maybe September, maybe October, maybe December...who knows.

Like I mentioned. Wait as long as you can...then buy.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Wait as long as you can...then buy.

- Nick
I agree. But be sure to give yourself enough time to get aquainted with the OS if this is your first Mac.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson can only hope to improve

For me i think you should get it now. But that's only my opinion okies? Think a hundred times before you make your decision
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

As best as we can guess, Apple is only a yearly refresh cycle across all of their product lines. Unfortunately, the exact timing is always speculation and so to echo what the others have said. Research the capabilities of the current generation MBP, if it fits you need, budget and timing. Purchase it.

Is the next generation MBP going to have something the current generation doesn't have? Absolutely, that's to be expected. As to what exactly it is going to be is anyone's guess. A processor and GPU upgrade are likely good candidates, but beyond that who knows..

It's hard to chase technology upgrades...

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook air fell off bed onto wooden floor - now it doesn't turn on...:( | new mac air »