New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Airport Screws.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jackabee

Jackabee is on a distinguished road

Hi all, get an interesting issue here.

Was installing an SSD into the Optical Bay on my 13" MPB, Mid 2012, i5 Model, got it all working perfectly and began reassembly only to have lost two important screws.

I was wondering if anyone knew the sizes of the screws that connect the Airport Card to the case (The bit where all the antennas connect), as currently the Airport card is sitting loose in the MPB, and as one of the screws for the base screw into the bracket, the case isn't sitting flush anymore.

Anyone have any idea? really rather annoyed at myself.

Cheers all.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try the ifixit web site. I'm not sure if they have the take apart instructions up yet for the 2012 MacBook Pros, but if they do, you may be able to find the screw sizes there.

iFixit: The free repair manual
QUOTE Thanks
Jackabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Try the ifixit web site. I'm not sure if they have the take apart instructions up yet for the 2012 MacBook Pros, but if they do, you may be able to find the screw sizes there.

iFixit: The free repair manual
Had a quick look, they had an SSD Optical guide, had a look and it says the screws are 10.3 mm Phillips screws, Anyone know any suppliers/Websites I can purchase them from? eBay is showing nothing, and nor is google, that I can see.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Got an Apple Store nearby your home? If you do, go on in and ask in a nice way if they have the screws. Tell them you would be willing to pay..... but I bet they'll give them to you for free if they have them.
QUOTE Thanks
Jackabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Got an Apple Store nearby your home? If you do, go on in and ask in a nice way if they have the screws. Tell them you would be willing to pay..... but I bet they'll give them to you for free if they have them.
Just over an hours drive unfortunately, Its 3 screws I need, so, as a last resort I could drive over, its a shame really, so mad at myself for losing them in the first place!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If the Apple store is that far away, be sure to call first before driving that distance. Also here are several sites that may have the screws:

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

appleparts.com

Good luck and don't feel bad about losing the screws. I worked in computer repair for years both for IBM and the US Govt. Can't tell you how many times I misplaced screws and some large parts. Goes with the profession.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well worth keeping on hand a full set of screws. just make sure the scres did not fall inside your MBP:-

Apple MacBook Pro A1278 Genuine Screw Screws Set | eBay

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Jackabee

Managed to find a "donor" screw from just above the fan to temporarily hold down the Airport Card so the base sits properly again now, Will be heading into an Apple store tomorrow, can't say I am looking forward to it with WWDC today
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A1369 SSD compatible with mid 09 MBP? | MAC DVD player »