New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Best Macbook Pro Cases?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
CookieMonsterXo

 
Member Since: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 30
CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

CookieMonsterXo is offline
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm brand new to the forum, so, sorry if it's not in the right place.
Anyways, I'm going to be getting a new Macbook Pro (13.3") Case in a week or two,
and I've decided I want to get a hard snap-on case.
Honestly, I cannot afford to spend $50 on a Speck or Incase one though.
I'm only looking to spend around $20-$25 between a snap-on case and a keyboard cover, which I know means I'll probably just have to get one off of Amazon, which I'm alright with. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to the best ones within my budget.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,863
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
...I've decided I want to get a hard snap-on case.
Honestly, I cannot afford to spend $50 on a Speck or Incase one though.
I'm only looking to spend around $20-$25 between a snap-on case and a keyboard cover
As far as hard cases...there are really only about 3 companies that make them:

- Speck
- Incase
- iPearl

There may be some others...but Speck and Incase are the most well known...and iPearl is (I think) a new player. My wife has an iPearl on her MacBook Pro (and I'm going to be getting one soon too). It's a pretty good product.

As far as price. Yes...if you cannot afford $40-50...and you want a Speck or incase...then you're going to have to buy a used one via Amazon, e-Bay, or Craig's List...or get lucky and get a highly discounted new one from one of the manufacturers websites.

I just checked...and for some reason the iPearl hard shell case is a lot less expensive than I remember. For the 13" MacBook Pro (non-retina)...they only cost $11.99. So you may want to go with the iPearl hard case!

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

 
Member Since: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 30
CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

CookieMonsterXo is offline
Thank you. I did see some iPearl's, and they did look nice.

There are several other brand new off-brand cases on Amazon though, such as eForCity, GMYLE, TopCase, Kuzy, etc. that I was referring to. But, I'm glad to know the iPearl is good, since that was one of my original considerations anyways.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what color is your wife's iPearl? I'm just wondering if the colors on Amazon's website are pretty true to the color in real life (although, I know this depends on computer colors and brightness, etc., but, just generally speaking...)?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,863
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
There are several other brand new off-brand cases on Amazon though, such as eForCity, GMYLE, TopCase, Kuzy, etc. that I was referring to.
I haven't heard of those...but if they exist...they exist!

I really like the iPearl my wife has on her 13" MacBook Pro. The bottom has many more holes/openings than Speck. Speck has a lot of thin slots...iPearl has a lot of larger round holes. I think that this is to (in a small way) help with cooling (in a minor way).

I think that the iPearl has more "open area" than the Speck case on the botom...thus slightly better radiant cooling & technically...maybe ever so slightly lighter.

The iPearl case also has two little flip down feet at the back of the case to possibily help when using the MBP on a flat surface. And of course you cannot beat the current price (I think)...$11.99 on Amazon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
Also, if you don't mind my asking, what color is your wife's iPearl? I'm just wondering if the colors on Amazon's website are pretty true to the color in real life (although, I know this depends on computer colors and brightness, etc., but, just generally speaking...)?
I think that the iPearl case she got was Royal Blue. It looks pretty good. But again...at $11.99 for the iPearl (compared to $40-$50 for a Speck case)..who can complain!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

 
JUKE179r's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 01, 2009
Location: DohaLondonVegas
Posts: 882
JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

JUKE179r is offline
I've got the clear and red Speck plastic covers on both of my MBP's for almost 5 years now. It looks good and keeps away the bumps and scratches.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

 
Member Since: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 30
CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

CookieMonsterXo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
I've got the clear and red Speck plastic covers on both of my MBP's for almost 5 years now. It looks good and keeps away the bumps and scratches.
.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm brand new to the forum, so, sorry if it's not in the right place.
Anyways, I'm going to be getting a new Macbook Pro (13.3") Case in a week or two,
and I've decided I want to get a hard snap-on case.
Honestly, I cannot afford to spend $50 on a Speck or Incase one though.
I'm only looking to spend around $20-$25 between a snap-on case and a keyboard cover, which I know means I'll probably just have to get one off of Amazon, which I'm alright with. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to the best ones within my budget.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

 
JUKE179r's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 01, 2009
Location: DohaLondonVegas
Posts: 882
JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

JUKE179r is offline
Thanks for the recap.
I mentioned the Speck because it amazes me that people spend over $1000 for a Mac but then say they can't afford a $30-50 case to protect it.
It's like buying a Ferrari but saying you can't afford the insurance for it.
Enjoy the Mac...

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

 
Member Since: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 30
CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

CookieMonsterXo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Thanks for the recap.
I mentioned the Speck because it amazes me that people spend over $1000 for a Mac but then say they can't afford a $30-50 case to protect it.
It's like buying a Ferrari but saying you can't afford the insurance for it.
Enjoy the Mac...
Certain majors at my college require Macs, mine being one of it.
So, despite a Mac being twice my budget, I don't really have a choice of whether to get it or not.
So, I'm already way over my budget for it, so I definitely cannot spend $50 on a case,
on top of spending $30 on a nice carrying case for it as well.
If I could afford a Speck, I would. But I can not afford an extra $50 case for it right now.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,863
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
Certain majors at my college require Macs, mine being one of it.
So, despite a Mac being twice my budget, I don't really have a choice of whether to get it or not.
So, I'm already way over my budget for it, so I definitely cannot spend $50 on a case...
Purchasing a used computer is always a GREAT way to save money. I haven't purchased a new Macintosh computer is over (yes believe it or not) 16 years (almost as long as you've been alive)!

In fact (just 5 days ago)...I purchased an "Early 2011" 13" MacBook Pro (very very similar to yours)...for $350 bucks. And it works perfectly...and almost looks perfect! AND it still has Applecare remaining till September, 2014!

$350 is a lot better than $1199+!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,863
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Just get the $11.99 iPearl hard case I suggested earlier in this thread. I don't think that you're going to find a hard case for less (unless someone gives you one for free)!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

 
Member Since: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 30
CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

CookieMonsterXo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Just get the $11.99 iPearl hard case I suggested earlier in this thread. I don't think that you're going to find a hard case for less (unless someone gives you one for free)!

- Nick
Thanks! I've decided to either get an iPearl or Kuzy, both for around $15-$20.
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

 
Member Since: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 30
CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

CookieMonsterXo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Just get the $11.99 iPearl hard case I suggested earlier in this thread. I don't think that you're going to find a hard case for less (unless someone gives you one for free)!

- Nick
Question: Has your wife ever had an issue with the case scratching up the computer?
I've been reading reviews of a lot of the snap-on cases and some people say they get dirt trapped beneath them which ends up scratching up the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,863
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
Question: Has your wife ever had an issue with the case scratching up the computer?
I've been reading reviews of a lot of the snap-on cases and some people say they get dirt trapped beneath them which ends up scratching up the computer?
My wife & I have had hard shell cases on our MacBooks/MacBook Pro's for years...and we've never had a problem with that. Some folks are really OCD about things like this.

BELIEVE ME...if the computer gets a little bit of scratching due to dirt under the hard case...this sort of scratching is going to be way way way less than any scratch or dent the computer might experience if you don't have a hard case on it!

Any scratching that might occur due to dirt under the hard case...would be far less severe than any scratching that may occur to the shell of the computer than would happen from simply putting the computer into & out of a book-bag.

You have to keep things in perspective. As mentioned above...any scratching due to the hard shell case will be far less severe (or invisible or not at all)...compared to what's going to happen to the computer with no hard shell case!

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

 
Member Since: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 30
CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

CookieMonsterXo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
My wife & I have had hard shell cases on our MacBooks/MacBook Pro's for years...and we've never had a problem with that. Some folks are really OCD about things like this.

BELIEVE ME...if the computer gets a little bit of scratching due to dirt under the hard case...this sort of scratching is going to be way way way less than any scratch or dent the computer might experience if you don't have a hard case on it!

Any scratching that might occur due to dirt under the hard case...would be far less severe than any scratching that may occur to the shell of the computer than would happen from simply putting the computer into & out of a book-bag.

You have to keep things in perspective. As mentioned above...any scratching due to the hard shell case will be far less severe (or invisible or not at all)...compared to what's going to happen to the computer with no hard shell case!

HTH,

- Nick
EXACTLY what I was thinking.
I know scratches will happen.
But I just kept reading reviews and people saying how they got scratches. Part of me just kept thinking "But still, the computer would get even more scratched up without the case on.
I just wanted to make sure it was nothing severe, but yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, that I'd rather get a $20 case scratched up and have to buy a new one later on down the line than get the computer itself all scratched up.
I understand a $20 case isn't going to be really protective, but it's better than nothing.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but just thought I would double check to make sure there wasn't any huge issues with it. I think I've decided to go with an iPearl instead of the Kuzy, since the iPearl actually got slightly better reviews and it's cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,863
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
I know scratches will happen.
Without a hard shell case on it...scratches will DEFINITELY happen. The aluminum that the shell of the computer is made of is just too soft (aluminum is a soft metal). I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of brand new MacBook Pro's get their first scratch the very first day they are used!

I'm not necessarily talking BIG/deep scratches. But little micro-scratches...or at least little "swirly" type scratches. But then again big major scratches can happen on the first day as well. Also...the big flat bottoms & tops of MacBook Pro's can be very easily dented. These are just large curved pieces/sheets of aluminum...probably not much more than 2-3x thicker than a soda can.

THere are many scenarios that could dent a MacBook Pro...such as bumping into the corner of a table, dropping a heavy book onto the computer, dropping an iPod or iPhone onto the computer...etc. Hundreds & hundreds of ways to dent a MacBook Pro.

So MANY reasons for a hard shell case. But I will say...after you get your first dent or first big scratch...the rest of them don't seem nearly as bad!!! So preventing the first dent or scratch is what your REALLY trying to do with a hard shell case!!! A dent & scratch free computer also has better resale value!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
But I just kept reading reviews and people saying how they got scratches. Part of me just kept thinking "But still, the computer would get even more scratched up without the case on.
I just wanted to make sure it was nothing severe, but yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, that I'd rather get a $20 case scratched up and have to buy a new one later on down the line than get the computer itself all scratched up.
I understand a $20 case isn't going to be really protective, but it's better than nothing.
Yes...I read those sort of reviews as well before I purchased my first hard shell case. The thing we don't know is...how careful were these people being with their computers...and the environments they were exposing their computers to.

For example...if someone takes their MacBook Pro to the beach...and they get some grains of sand stuck between the MacBook Pro & the hard shell case...of course there is going to be scratching. Sand is a VERY hard substance...and will most definitely scratch the aluminum case of a MacBook Pro. Plenty of other examples as well...where the average person will never expose their computer to (with a hard shell case on it).

Getting a hard shell case for your new MacBook Pro is a VERY good idea. It does make it a bit thicker & a bit heavier...but (I think) the extra protection is worth it!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« mac storage | The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. External Hardrive Problem! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MacBook or MacBook Pro: Newbie needs help ? fld777 Apple Notebooks 11 12-15-2013 03:37 PM
High CPU Usage farshadavocate OS X - Operating System 20 11-04-2011 02:07 PM
Apple Macbook Pro 13" Cases bonkers123 Apple Notebooks 1 08-28-2009 12:00 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?