New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Looking for an external monitor for Macbook Retina

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sqd rox

sqd rox is an unknown at this point

So I am currently building my home office. One thing that I think is missing from the picture below is an external monitor. I am doing some research online to find one that would suit my needs. I am not to crazy about the Thunderbolt display due to its price and its limitation of working only with Macs(my office laptop is a PC). I want to get something that would a good fit with my laptops, both Mac and PC. I heard that the iMacs can double over as a display, but again I feel the price point is too high to justify another computer purchase. Please see below and advise what would be a good fit. I am thinking around 24" - 27" Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just about any good quality monitor should be OK. Modern monitors have inputs for DVI, VGA and HDMI which should work well with both your rMBP and PC. You just have to choose what suits you with regard to size and resolution. And by the way, only the iMac 27" model has two thunderbolts ports. The 21.5 model does not.
QUOTE Thanks
sqd rox

Looks like I am leaning toward this monitor, any one have experience with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-927M9-IPS...s=dell+monitor
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not with that one specifically, but have no problem recommending Dell monitors.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Dell monitors are quite nice, but I would look at the Ultrasharp line as opposed the regular line. They are more expensive, but yield better results.

I would suggest either the 24" or 27" ones instead.

The 27" monitor nicely matches the 2560x1440 resolution of the 27" iMac and Cinema Display..

1920x1080 at 24" is fine but I prefer the higher resolution for the larger monitor..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
sqd rox

funny you say that but I was looking into this one as well. I like the usb 3.0 ports on it. I have tried hubs, however I have issues connecting with them. This Monitor should satisfy all my needs. Anyone one the forum have experience with this one? Thanks for all the help guys!

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-I...ell+ultrasharp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro keyboard cleaning? | Desktop Issue »