New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Used MBP '10-'12

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

travisw

travisw is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for a used macbook pro around the $800 range. I'm seeing alot of i5 processor's in this range but the dates are between 2010 to 2012. Obviously specs make a difference, but I'm wondering if there is a certain manufacturing date that is better or to stay away from? Or should I just go with the newest one possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Ideally newest that is within your budget is going to be the best. Each of the refreshes of the MBP will end up using the newer versions of the components, better processors, being GPUs and so on.

MBP's at $800 seem a tad low to me, especially in the 2010-2012 range..I'd expect at least $1400 as the base price, so make sure you are getting what you think you are getting..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisw View Post
I'm looking for a used macbook pro around the $800 range. I'm seeing alot of i5 processor's in this range but the dates are between 2010 to 2012. Obviously specs make a difference, but I'm wondering if there is a certain manufacturing date that is better or to stay away from? Or should I just go with the newest one possible?
Two things:

1. Display size makes a big difference. 13" are less expensive than 15". And the 15" models come with dedicated graphics...which makes them more powerful....and more expensive.

2. 2010 to 2012 models...that's actually a pretty big difference. 2012 models are almost new...in fact only the retina MacBook Pro's have been updated for 2013. So many 2012 MacBook Pro's you would see...are the latest models.

On the other hand...I know that I can get a 2010 13" MacBook Pro for around $500 on my local Craig's List.

So again...2010-2012 models...and no specific info on display sizes (13" or 15")...that can be a very broad range. Thus one price of $800...cannot possibly cover all potential options.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connect to Shared external Drives on Win7 Machine | Reformatting Powerbook G4 »