New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

macbook pro 2012 water damage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JeffPhillipsOC

JeffPhillipsOC is on a distinguished road

Daughter just spilled half a cup of water on the laptop. Wiped it up quickly, but it shut down. There is no external battery to remove. Getting conflicting suggestions about what to do. For example: if I place in a bag of rice, do I turn the laptop upside down? Or is rice bad for it? How long do I leave off before trying to turn on again? Should I take to Apple store right away? Appreciate the help.

Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sorry to hear of the spill. Please read through our Sticky Post at the top of this same forum. It's a long thread but it should give you some idea of what to do and what to look for in the future. Basically, however, water damage is usually done very fast especially if the machine was on when the spill occurred. Taking it to Apple will result in them telling you that it will need major expensive repairs. As you know, water damage is not covered by the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

In answer to the PM you just sent....

The Sticky Post I referred you to is at the top of this forum - the one you posted in. It should be the first item at the top.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

For what it is worth, a ny chance your household insurance may cover the damage? ApppleCare does not cover spills which are often fatal to the logic board.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JeffPhillipsOC

JeffPhillipsOC is on a distinguished road

Read your sticky post. I've removed the back cover, dabbed off the drops of water with cotton swabs. Will it help to keep the laptop upside and open and have my cool air fan blow it dry?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPhillipsOC View Post
Daughter just spilled half a cup of water on the laptop. Wiped it up quickly, but it shut down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPhillipsOC View Post
Read your sticky post. I've removed the back cover, dabbed off the drops of water with cotton swabs. Will it help to keep the laptop upside and open and have my cool air fan blow it dry?
When liquids are spilt on laptops...the damage occurs in milliseconds. No human alive can react fast enough to prevent damage. So cross all your fingers and toes for good luck...even then...hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!

Anything you can do to enhance the evaporation of the liquid may help...but still keep in mind...that the irreparable damage may/probably has already occurred.

Many of these stories are also in the sticky.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Murasaki

Murasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.

All I can say is good luck, did the same thing to the first NEC I brought and it was dead within milliseconds, my insurance replaced it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to tell what's taking so much HD space? | Low battery life on new refurbished mac book pro retina 15 »