New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2008 White Macbook vs. 2010 Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bigbox

Bigbox is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at used Macbooks for sale on eBay, there is a 2008 White Macbook and a 2010 Macbook Pro that both have 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 250GB HD 4GB RAM. Despite that one's older than the other, am I correct in assuming that they both have the same capabilities? I'm wondering what the perks are to getting the Macbook Pro when they have the same specs. Thank you for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

My own take is the three main things you pick up with the MBP over the MacBook are:

1) More RAM capacity, up to 8GB with the MBP
2) Better graphics card
3) Aluminum case vs the White PVC

Haven't checked to verify but probably more IO ports on the MBP as well.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

For these comparisons suggests download Mactracker a great little utility. However as RavingMac says the 2010 MBP. Geekbench on a 2008 2.4GHz machine is 3135, on a 2.66Ghz 2010 MBP 3739 about 20% faster.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Bigbox

The RAM capacity is 8, but that's only if I upgrade, correct? What exactly does the graphics card affect? It says the Macbook Pro is also 2.4Ghz, not sure if that's what makes it 20% faster. Would these factors cause a great amount of lag compared to the Macbook Pro when using software like Logic Pro 9 and Adobe software or playing console video games? Just wanna make sure the extra $300 is worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbox View Post
What exactly does the graphics card affect?
The graphics performance!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Bigbox

Haha so just visual quality?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Um, not just quality, speed, Games Videos especially at HIGH HD frame rates. Many other things, not just Looks of the desktop!

The 2010 MBP is a much better machine than the Macbook you are looking at. don't just look at CPU speed.

Also with the software you just said you use and Mountain Lion 4GB is not really a lot of RAM. 8GB would be better for all those applications you mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If you are yet to be convinced, go with the cheaper. You will regret not getting the MBP however.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Bigbox

Yea, I know a little more about graphics cards now and I'm pretty much only considering a MBP now. Hmm, I figured 4 GB would be alright but if I have to upgrade, I will. A $60 one pretty standard? Or should I be worried about anything?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or should I be worried about anything?
Asteroids...Alien Abduction...Desperate Housewives...Spam...etc.!

In regards to computers...you need to be more specific. What is there to be worried about??

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Bigbox

Haha there just seems to be cheaper ones and more expensive ones. Obviously I don't wanna spend a lot of money, so is there any reason not to get a cheaper one?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The increase in speed was more than noticeable between a 2008 macbook pro and an early 11 macbook pro.

the whitebook is blown completely out of the water, performance wise. The 2010 mbp would be a better buy.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Haha there just seems to be cheaper ones and more expensive ones. Obviously I don't wanna spend a lot of money, so is there any reason not to get a cheaper one?
Firstly...where would you be purchasing this MacBook Pro from? Since you narrowed it down to a 2010 model...these are not sold by Apple any longer (including the refurbished section).

If you're specifically looking at a 2010 model. Once you narrow things down to a specific display size (13", 15", 17")...you significantly reduce the number of options. Usually then the only difference is cpu speed (sometimes graphics hardware differences). Everything else (amount of ram and hard drive size)...are user customizable.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Bigbox

I plan on purchasing from eBay, and a 2010 model just seems like a good price and will work for me. I think the best option is a 15" but I suppose I'd be alright with any. dtravis7 told me I should increase my RAM to 8GB, so I was wondering what the best RAM out there would be if I need to do so.

I would gladly get a 2011 MBP, but they seem to all be $800+, I'd rather not spend more than $600 unless it's an amazing difference..
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

There is a substantial step up from the 13in to 15in models, especially in Graphics processing power. FWIW I have the 2007 model 15in MBP and it is still very capable.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mouse cursor not moving on 2008 macbook? | Macbook Pro no longer recognizing internal hard drive »