New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Spillage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kildair

kildair is on a distinguished road

Folks, I need some advise please.
I have a macbook pro that had some coffee spilled on it. Anyway it was with my son, so the proper action was not taken (
Anyway, when I connect it to the power supply, the fan comes on. I left it connected for 20 minutes, took out the power supply and the fan stays on. Now
1) the fan stays on
2) pressing the power button has no effect
3) pressing the eject button has no effect
4) the display never comes on

So I am assuming that
1) the battery can still hold charge
2) the fan works

Any advice about anything else?

I really would appreciate your advice
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

First read through The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

What does "proper action not taken" mean? Did he not turn it off immediately? Where exactly on the MBP did the coffee spill? You will need to take the MBP apart to see where all you have coffee in there..use the iFixit.com website to get the guides..

Usually with water, the advice is to put the device in with some uncooked riced for a day or two to get the moisture out, but that wouldn't work so well with coffee..

Also, if the coffee did reach the inside of the MBP and you've been turning it on or leaving the power connected and all that, you've probably fried a few thing inside..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
kildair

Thanks Ashwin.
I have tried to go through the official thread.
What I mean by proper action is the advice given about what to do in such cases.
I am honestly unsure as to what he exactly did, if he immediately turned it off etc
I am just not sure why the fan stays on until the battery is out of charge.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

A short on the logicboard could cause things to come on and not go off or vice versa. If only the fans come on and nothing else is working, then that's a very good possibility to what's happened.

If you feel up to it, you can take the MBP apart and see what's going on. Or take it to an Apple store and have them let you know what's going on. Spillage isn't covered under AppleCare so you will be given the bill to fix whatever needs to be replaced..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildair View Post
What I mean by proper action is the advice given about what to do in such cases.
Specific things to do are clearly discussed in the sticky thread Raz0rEdge linked.

I hate to say it...but there really is nothing unique about your situation...compared to the hundreds of other situations we have experience with.

In just about all cases...liquid + computer = dead computer

In most situations the only solution is to replace the logic board ($500+)...and in almost the same number of cases...this can be a large proportion of the laptops value...and not worth it.

Sorry,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kildair

I suppose I am just trying to resurrect the dead ((
Is there any value to the computer?
I removed the hard drive and the area is clean. So is the area under the CD drive.
I suspect that the damage is to the right of the fan just on the edge of the board.
QUOTE Thanks
kildair

oh by the way it is a A1278 macbook pro
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

The A1278 moniker covers Macbook Pro's from 2009 to 2012.. If the MBP is from 2009, then the logicboard replacement price is a large part of the value of the MBP, if it's the newer one like from 2012, then it isn't and replacing the logicboard means you haven't eaten substantially into the MBP's value..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I suppose I am just trying to resurrect the dead ((
Totally understandable! The damage that occurs can happen in milliseconds (much faster than any human can react to). So before the average human can react to the situation...the damage is already done.

Like Raz0rEdge mentioned. If the computer is 1-2 years old...it still may be worth it paying to have the logic board replaced. But if it's an older model...then the computer may only be worth about $500-$600 (if it was working 100%)...so it makes no sense to spend $500+ on a computer that's only worth $500-$600.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
kildair

The MBP os 13.3/2.3/2x2gb/320/sd/glsy
serial number C02GD5Q6DRJ7

2.3GHz i5, 4GB RAM

This may sound daft, but how do I know if it is just a matter of replacing the MBP?

When it is plugged in to power supply the fan just keeps whirring.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
kildair

Checked the serial number and it was manufactured mid 2011
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
If you're trying to determine the computers value (if it was working 100%) go to:

Mac2Sell - Argus, Evaluation, Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod - Occasion

...to get a general idea of it's value. Non-working computers are difficult to put a value on.

Quote:
This may sound daft, but how do I know if it is just a matter of replacing the MBP?
Contact Apple (hopefully a local Apple Store)...and have them examine it to see exactly what's wrong.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

OK, that's a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) so there's more value in there..and technically you wouldn't know exactly what needs to be replaced until you check/test it all.

The logicboard takes up the entire inside, so if it gets hit, then you've got to replace the whole thing..

If you look at the teardown of the MBP from 2009, you can see where the components are and where the logicboard is sitting..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:

2.3GHz i5, 4GB RAM

When it is plugged in to power supply the fan just keeps whirring.

Thanks
As your MacBook Pro was sold in the UK, I'll give you some ball park pricing based upon UK pricing at an Apple Store or AASP. To replace the logic board 661-6078 around 402.00 inc VAT. If the coffee was spilt on the keyboard, you'll be very lucky to escape without some keys failing, so add an extra 125.00 inc VAT for the B661-6075 top case with keyboard. Those prices include labour and total 527.00, just over half what you'd pay for a current model. If you did have it repaired you have AppleCare left until 18/9/14. It's worth checking to see if the accident is covered by your household accidental damage insurance policy.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
As your MacBook Pro was sold in the UK, I'll give you some ball park pricing based upon UK pricing at an Apple Store or AASP. To replace the logic board 661-6078 around 402.00 inc VAT. If the coffee was spilt on the keyboard, you'll be very lucky to escape without some keys failing, so add an extra 125.00 inc VAT for the B661-6075 top case with keyboard. Those prices include labour and total 527.00, just over half what you'd pay for a current model. If you did have it repaired you have AppleCare left until 18/9/14. It's worth checking to see if the accident is covered by your household accidental damage insurance policy.
Nice one! Great to have a local UK expert to quote some exact numbers & suggestions!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slippery Feet? | New on MacBook »