Smile Macbook Pro 15" 250ghz 4gb broken logic board
    Hey guys!
    I'm wondering how much can I get from a Macbook Pro 15" 250ghz 4gb with a broken logic board? The laptop itself is in pretty decent condition, minus a dent on the right hand corner. I was thinking about posting it on craigslist or selling it back to one of those buyback stores. It would be great if you guys can give me an estimate, since I have no clue how much this thing is worth.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cluessgirl View Post
    Hey guys!
    I'm wondering how much can I get from a Macbook Pro 15" 250ghz 4gb with a broken logic board?
    There are lots & lots of 15" MacBook Pro models. So it's almost impossible to even begin to guess what it's worth. But be aware...with a dead logic board...it's worth considerably less than if it was working 100%.

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum. Not a "Switcher Hangout" forum topic.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

whoops! Adding the year to this post might have helped... It's a 2010 model. The serial number is wq048rllatm. When I went to the apple store they told me it was going to be a $500 fix, so I was guessing I could probably get at least a 2-300 back?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    You don't say what year and since the logic board is THE main guts of the computer, replacing it is quite expensive. You might have better luck parting it out if the other components are in good condition..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cluessgirl View Post
    whoops! Adding the year to this post might have helped... It's a 2010 model. The serial number is wq048rllatm. When I went to the apple store they told me it was going to be a $500 fix, so I was guessing I could probably get at least a 2-300 back?
    $500 to replace the logic board is about right/normal.

I'm going to assume you are located in the United States (location makes a difference). If your MacBook Pro was working 100%...it could still be worth close to $1000-$1100. A broken computer is always difficult to value...so it's really hard to say. But I would certainly say that it's worth more than $200-$300.

Heck if you do the math ($500 to repair it). $1000-$500 (new logic board) = worth about $500 non-working.

To be honest. In many cases replacing the logic board in a Macintosh laptop generally is not worth it. But given the value of your computer ($1000-$1100), the cost to repair it ($500)...and how much a replacement new 15" MacBook Pro would cost ($1799+)...I think that you would be best off getting it repaired (assuming nothing else is wrong with it)!

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information