New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ibook with usb hub?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pscl227

pscl227 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram

right i bought a generic "safecom" 4 port usb 2.0 hub today i have 2 printers plugged into it, yet when i plug it into my ibook it will not recognise it? it says on the box that it is mac compatible, i plugged it into my pc to check it works, and it recognised it instantly.

any ideas then guys on how to get this thing to work then?

cheers, Paul
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Here is my guess. Does your iBook support USB 2.0 or 1.2?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

its a brand new ibook out of the box today, so i presume usb 2.0, i looked in the system profiler under usb and it recognises the hub, but it wont recognise the printers i have plugged into it
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What printers are they? Brand and Model?
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

a canon pixma ip4200, bought from the apple website! and the brother hl-2030 both of them work fine when plugged directly into the laptop just not with the hub, i also tried my cameras and usb sticks in the hub and still nothing, yet it all works fine when i plug it into my windooze pee cee neye:
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

It sounds like the hub is either defective or you didn't plug in its power.
I'd say number one.
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninc
It sounds like the hub is either defective or you didn't plug in its power.
I'd say number one.
its a passive usb hub, which should be fine for printers, and i can't imagine that it is defective since i have now tried it on 3 different pc's and it worked fine on all of them..... neye:
QUOTE Thanks

11213 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard

on my ibook i also have a generic (though only 1.1) USB hub and it works just fine with everything that i plugged in so it shouldn't be the ibook
QUOTE Thanks
ultrablue

I have found it best to use active hubs for printers, keyboards, mice... just the stuff that are going to sit at your desk.

As for your problem here, you might want to return it and try another brand. Some "OSX compatible" products have not worked with my ibook in th epast.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

On my Mac Mini I have an Off Brand USB 2.0 4 Port Hub. It's powered and works with everything I plug into it, Printers, Scanners, USB Sticks, ETC. It was the cheapest one in the store.

It's a Dynex. Got it at Best Buy 6 months ago.
QUOTE Thanks
xanotos

xanotos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33gig/Power Mac G4 500mhz/ imac G3 600mhz

I think the reason you USB hub is not working is because the ibook USB ports are not powered. If you plug in the A/C adapter it should work.
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

Sorry to ask the obvious but...

Do the printers work if they are connected to the iBook directly, avoiding the hub?
QUOTE Thanks
radarbob

Yeah, what mig.gentry said. And Macintosh needs drivers for the printers just like a PC does.

USB is designed to be "daisy chained" but is there a driver for the USB hub? I wouldn't think so, but check on the mfgrs web site.

Let us know how it works out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook Memory Question | The Apple Store Sucks »