New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Boot Camp issues...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Paramecium302

Paramecium302 is on a distinguished road

Hiya folks. I got help from y'all once before a few months ago, so I thought I'd come back with another of my problems.

I use a Macbook Pro, probably about 3 1/2 years old. Still runs like a champ, but I had been having problems with my Windows 7 64-bit that I had partitioned. Frequent blue-screens. I couldn't figure out how to remedy it, so I decided to put my windows disc in, hoping to fix it with the repair function. It did not work.

So, I backed up all my files, and erased the Windows Partition. When I tried to reinstall Windows using Boot Camp, it told me I did not have the proper drivers -- this was weird, because it had just been running fine recently.

Now, when I start up my Macbook Pro, it acts as if there is a partition in the HD, and tries to open the not-mac side.

So, what I really need to know is, what are these drivers I need and where can I get them?

Thank you for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not enough info to help you. What version of OS X are you running?
QUOTE Thanks
Paramecium302

Snow Leopard
Version 10.6.8

Anything other info I should give?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

The drivers are contained on your Snow Leopard DVD. Did you use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows 7 partition?
QUOTE Thanks
Paramecium302

Yes I did use the Boot Camp assistant.

I thought they were on the Snow Leopard dvd. Do I install them on my Mac partition then? Because I can't even install Windows until some drivers are installed somewhere.

Thanks for the help thus far.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Sorry I missed it before, but I see you're trying to install Windows 7 x 64 bit right? Your Snow Leopard DVD does not contain the proper drivers for Windows 7, only for XP and Vista and then for only 32 bit. I believe you're going to have to install a later version of Boot Camp on your Mac before you can install Windows 7 x 64 bit.

When you received the error about not having the proper drivers, did it state that you could download the drivers or update Boot Camp from Apple? It should have.
QUOTE Thanks
Paramecium302

Hmm, interesting. How was I able to run Windows 7 64 bit on it before then?

It did tell me I could download them on the apple site, but to be honest I couldn't navigate their help pages. They had hundreds of driver downloads, but no indication as to which ones I need/have. Downloading a new Bootcamp is a good idea, though -- I don't know why I didn't think about that.

I will give it a shot and tell you the results!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's the cheapest route to go on getting a new Macbook? | Wont start! »