New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External Media Player for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gcdub85

Gcdub85 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.

I got a MacBook Pro for Christmas and am still trying to figure a few things out so I am just looking for some advice about something.

I have an external hard drive that I can plug into my tv and watch movies from. So I used to use this a lot with my old pc as an external hard drive and plugged into my ya to watch all my movie/tv shows. Most of the files are Avi files.

So I realised that the hard drive is only formatted to windows so did a bit of research online and reformatted to fat32 (I think). But now I cannot use it as a media player just as a hard drive.

Basically I am wondering if there is a hard drive / media player that I can buy that is specifically for mac? And use it the exact same way I used to use my current one with my pc. Adding new files and watching on tv, simple. I would prefer to buy a new hard drive than have to do some more reformatting and things like that as I amnt the most techie person.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm guessing that the TV can only read certain filesystems (evidently not FAT32 which is surprising). What model TV is this?

If it indeed can only read NTFS, you can install some software to let OS X write to it. Before that though, let's make sure that's the issue.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gcdub85

The tv Is An LG tv.

I read in a different forum that when the hard drive was reformatted to use on my mac it took away the feature of using it on the tv and can now only be used as an external hard drive.

I'm just wondering is there any straight forward way to use this hard drive like I used to or if I can buy a new one that will do the same.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you probably can use it again but you'll need to reformat it to the original filesystem. What model of LG TV is this? Or, if you can, check the guide that came with it and see if there are details in there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gcdub85

The tv is an LG model 47LV4400.

If it is the tv I won't be buying a new tv to make this work anyway so any other suggestions would be great. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I'd backup the content on the drive, format it as NTFS on your Windows machine and try plugging it in again. If it's recognized, you'll know that it's a filesystem issue.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gcdub85

So i changed into back into NTFS format and it now works as a harddrive with my windows laptop but still not as a media player. I must of messed it up when i changed it to MAC format.

Any suggestions of what to do next?

Or can anyone suggest a hard drive/media player made for the MAC as i wont be going back to windows any time soon!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it possible to accidentally drag a folder into Safari? | Connect to Shared external Drives on Win7 Machine »