Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    MacBook Air/Yosemite (I regret to say) -- Google Chrome
    Replacing hard drive
    My wife's 13" MacBook (Snow Leopard) failed to boot from the hard drive, so I booted from the external Snow Leopard disc, and ran Disk Utility. That informed me that the hard disc was corrupt. I have today bought a new hard disc drive, SATA 2.5, and installed it carefully, following the online instructions that one can find on YouTube and elsewhere.

However, Disk Utility does not seem able to find the new drive, and recognises only the OSX Installation-disc.

Have I done something wrong ?

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    Either the disk is faulty out of the blocks or it's not seated correctly in your MacBook or, worst case, the issue is your logic board. First thing to try is to put the old disk back in and see if disk utility can see that.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    I shall check that now -- one thing that I notice, though, is that the tray in which the drive is lying is loose, so that, when I pull the white tab, the tray comes out, followed by the drive.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    Tray?

Any chance of posting pictures?

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    The White MacBooks have a tray/Slide that the drive mounts in. It's a thin Aluminum U-Bracket. Did you put in the screws to hold it to the tray? Are you putting it in with the pins toward the inside of the drive bay? When you slide it in are you pushing it in all the way till it seats into the SATA ports inside the bay?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    The White MacBooks have a tray/Slide that the drive mounts in. It's a thin Aluminum U-Bracket. Did you put in the screws to hold it to the tray?
    The long sides of the tray have tiny "ears," pierced to be engaged by the lugs on the long edges of the drive. The old (Toshiba) drive had such lugs. The new (SATA) drive does not, but I notice that it has threaded sockets where the lugs ought to be

Are you putting it in with the pins toward the inside of the drive bay?
    Yes.

When you slide it in are you pushing it in all the way till it seats into the SATA ports inside the bay?
    Yes, so far as I can tell. I presume that the drive is fully seated, as it is all the way home, and the L-strip and battery can be replaced easily.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Either the disk is faulty out of the blocks or it's not seated correctly in your MacBook or, worst case, the issue is your logic board. First thing to try is to put the old disk back in and see if disk utility can see that.
    Yes, Disk Utility recognises the old drive.

Specs:
    Those lugs unscrew and go into the threads on the new drive

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Interesting as I have never seen lugs, just holes and screws. If the drive is not secure in the slide tray, it's probably not seating.

Specs:
    My white MacBook has a thin metal shield that the drive sits it. Four screw in lugs to locate into black plastic runners either side in the drive bay

Specs:

Specs:
    That's it, step 4 - EM shield and 4 lugs

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Those lugs unscrew and go into the threads on the new drive
    That is what I expected when I first noticed the threaded recesses on the long sides of the new drive, but the lugs on the old drive appear not in fact to be screws -- there is no slot, cross or socket to receive a screw-driver or Allen key. There is just a black, moulded plastic head, that turns freely.

Specs:
    That is crazy! Was the Toshiba drive the original drive that came new in the Macbook? I have never seen one that did not have threaded posts. I call them screws as besides the longer head that stick out, that is what they are. All I have seen have a Torx screw hole on the top of the part that sticks out from the drive. Without those it's not going to seat in all the way..

Specs:
    My fault, I expect, it sounds as though I need to invest in a Torx screw-driver.

Could you just tell me what size I need ?

Thread Information