New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help - Mac Pro Start up issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

treesleeper

treesleeper is on a distinguished road

Recently my Macbook Pros (OS X 10.6.80) sound stopped working and the sound icon disappeared from the top bar. When I press the volume buttons on the keyboard an icon showing a speaker crossed out shows up and there is not output devices show in system preferences.

So I read about restarting the computer and holding (alt, cmd, r, p) on start up and this seemed to fix the problem. Then when I was using safari the computer crashed and I had to restart this way again.

When it loaded again it went to a faded blue version of my home screen with no icons so I used a combination of safe boot (shift when starting up) and (alt, cmd, r, p) to get it to work and this also seemed to work for a while.

Now if I don't use safe boot when turning on the computer it goes to a faded blue screen and wont load at all. But when its running the sound icon is still gone and sound doesn't work and the (alt, cmd, r, p) method no longer works. Videos, gifs and flash runs strangely now and can crash my computer as well.

I would really appreciate someones help if they have any idea of what's going on and how to fix it!!

Thanks a lot!

Simon
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Do you still have the Snow Leopard (10.6) disc? If so, can you boot from it, loaded Disk Utility and run a repair on your HD to see what it finds..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
treesleeper

Thanks for replying so quickly! I'm just looking now
QUOTE Thanks
treesleeper

I cant find it! Is there any other way to try and fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

You do need that disk to boot from and run Repair Disk. Sounds like your hard drive may be shot. Are you using a Windows keyboard with Alt? On a Mac keyboard it is Command, Option P and R keys all at the same time after the chime and keep held down until after the third chime.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
treesleeper

No I'm just using the macbook keyboard and I've tried that with no luck! I'll have have a dig around to find the cd, also I don't know if this helps but I've created another account and logged in and it has the same problems as well, Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

A lot of times one of the troubleshooting methods is to create a new account to see if there is something in your regular account that has been corrupted, so it's good that you tried that and found the issues to persist. That means that whatever is ailing your machine is more intrinsic than just a configuration file or something..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
treesleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Do you still have the Snow Leopard (10.6) disc? If so, can you boot from it, loaded Disk Utility and run a repair on your HD to see what it finds..
Finally found the disk, how do I do this?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Keep this document for future reference: Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs

Hold down C while booting the system with the disk inserted and it will start up. Once it loads, go to Utilities->Disk Utility and run a repair to see what it finds..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
treesleeper

Thanks so much for your help the problem is fixed!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Glad that sorted it out for ya..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
treesleeper

oh no the problem is back!! it worked once but then after turning the computer on and off its back to where i started
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Sure sounds like a failing hard drive. What did Repair Disk have to say after you ran that last time? Remember you have to boot from the disc to run this as Ashwin described.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Also in addition to what Harry asked, what did Disk Utility say about the SMART status of your HD? While it is possible for a hard drive to fail before the SMART status might indicate, however if the SMART status indicates failure, then it's imminent..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
treesleeper

it said invalid volume file count & directory count
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Serializer??? | DVD/CD Share »