New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrade Old MacBook to run Mt Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

burningstar

burningstar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid '07 MB v10.7~2.16GHz C2D~3GB 667MHz~Intel GMA 950 64MB

Quick question: I have a mid '07 MacBook, currently running Lion 10.7.5. I checked the Apple website because I was interested in upgrading to Mountain Lion they listed that my MacBook is too old to be upgraded... that only late '08 - early '09 aluminum or newer models are capable to have the upgrade. I was wondering why that is, and if it's possible that I could upgrade my MacBook enough to where it can handle Mountain Lion.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningstar View Post
Quick question: I have a mid '07 MacBook, currently running Lion 10.7.5. I checked the Apple website because I was interested in upgrading to Mountain Lion they listed that my MacBook is too old to be upgraded... that only late '08 - early '09 aluminum or newer models are capable to have the upgrade. I was wondering why that is, and if it's possible that I could upgrade my MacBook enough to where it can handle Mountain Lion.
You are in the completely wrong forum for this question, but i popped in for a drink so ill answer……

NO there is no way you can upgrade your MacBook to as it to take ML and NO you can't upgrade your MB anymore to accommodate ML either. The reason why they made it your model ?? Cant be sure, BUT there has to be a model cut off somewhere and yours was it sorry to inform you of such news……
Put it like this, i was disappointed that i couldn't get AirPlay on my 2010 MBP but could find a work around with AirParrot . . . It happens

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Posts moved.

Posting in the correct forum will help ensure you get proper response to your questions, and will aid others with similar questions.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
burningstar

Thanks for the info, yeah it does kinda suck seeing how it's late '08 and newer when mine is mid '07 (soo close) but that just gives me another reason to upgrade to something newer, I suppose.

(and sorry about posting in the wrong place, I'm kinda new to forums as well and the lounge just seemed like a random posting area )

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:

(and sorry about posting in the wrong place, I'm kinda new to forums as well and the lounge just seemed like a random posting area )
No problem . . . and you nailed it. That forum is set aside for "random" posts, while yours fits a specific category.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

BurningStar, I sent you a PM on the subject. Check your Private Messages.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I sent you a PM on the subject. Check your Private Messages.
Just so the OP understands, the PM was to him, not me . . .

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
Just so the OP understands, the PM was to him, not me . . .
Oops! Guess I did not make that clear! Will fix it! Thanks!

There was a poster about a week ago that posted a URL to what I gave Burningstar but maybe it was missed. Some said it was Hackintosh. No way. Apple hardware with Apple OS. Just like Leopard on under 866Mhz G4s using Leopard Assist. I would not touch OSX on a PC with a 100' poll!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
There was a poster about a week ago that posted a URL to what I gave Burningstar but maybe it was missed. Some said it was Hackintosh. No way. Apple hardware with Apple OS. Just like Leopard on under 866Mhz G4s using Leopard Assist. I would not touch OSX on a PC with a 100' poll!
I was actually going to post about that, to the point i went through my M-F History for the last week, but do you think i could find it.
I remember reading the thread and that Harry talked Hackintosh, but searched (Harry Hackintosh) and do you think i got any hits . . . . ?? None. So i didn't confuse the OP i didn't mention there was something out there that could be down, and being to OP not really Techie thought it might be a bit much for them to try, considering they did say it is well time for a new machine.
Thanks for popping in Dennis

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Not a problem. At the beginning it was hard to do but the programmer who I believe had something to do with the old installer that made OSX run on old Power Mac 7600 Converted to a G3 machines. He made an installer and you just run it and it finds the ML installer, puts in the Kexts that make it all work and bam, it's installed! No more finding drivers and trying to replace them. Most of the issue with my White late 2007 Macbook was the X3100 will not with the current driver support the new OPEN GL interface ML is using. Simple as a new driver that no one would write. There are a few other fixes but the installer does it all.

I tried it way back when it was all do it yourself and without the right driver it was so bad I zapped it. Well with his his hard work it does work QUITE well and ML seems faster on that very machine than Lion did. There are some smart people out there for sure!!

My first Mac and usage of OSX was 10.2 Jaguar on a Non Supported PowerMac 7600 133 with a Sonnet G3 400. That is what made me want a newer Mac. OSX so impressed me even on that machine I was hooked!!!
QUOTE Thanks
burningstar

I could probably figure it out... as long as it has detailed instructions or an easy auto set-up, I should be able to handle the rest. I did check out the link you PM'd me, dtravis7, and it sounds like something I would be interested in testing out, I'm just gonna think about it some more and watch their updates until everything becomes supported. I may be a young lady, but I love being techy

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Wait for the .3 update. The very few issues will be fixed in that update.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
I may be a young lady, but I love being techy
Thats so cool to hear. And then stay around M-F then as you will learn and become more techie

QUOTE Thanks
burningstar

I do plan on it, TattooedMac I've already learned a lot in the short amount of time Ive been here, and my Mac problems have always been resolved by posting here

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sharing two mac book pros | 13-inch MBP 2.9 or 13-inch MBP 2.6 w/ retina »