New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Setting Localhost on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mohammed

mohammed is on a distinguished road

Hello Friends,

Just wanted to make this a as a quick Post.
I am trying to set my local folder as localhost, the way we set in windows.

I am a webmaster and bought a new apple iBook 12" and now i am trying view my websites locally as I would be working on it most of the time.
I guess there is not much complication in doing this, but still i was not able to do this.

Can anyone please reply to this post soon.

Thanks in advance.

White Eagle.
QUOTE Thanks
antizero

The good thing about Mac OS X is that Apache comes built in, you just have to enable it. Go to System preferences > Sharing > enable Personal Web Sharing (or ftp and whatever else you need).
QUOTE Thanks
mohammed

mohammed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by antizero
The good thing about Mac OS X is that Apache comes built in, you just have to enable it. Go to System preferences > Sharing > enable Personal Web Sharing (or ftp and whatever else you need).
Thanks Antizero for the reply, I really appreciate.

One more last thing. I have seen those settings, http://202.168.2.8/~mohammed/ and this is what I see.

Now how should I give the Path of the local folder in our HDD?

Can you please make it much more elabotaive.

Thanks in Advance.

Mohammed
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

You have to do that in your httpd.conf I guess.

one thing, I can help you make it: 202.168.2.8/mohammed/ without the ~

example
Quote:
Alias /mohammed/ "/path/to/mohammed's/folder/"

<Directory "/path/to/mohammed's/folder">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

/Library/Webserver/Documents/ is the location of the root web directory.
QUOTE Thanks
ekologik

ekologik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs

This post seems dead but I was looking for the same thing so I thought I'd post my solution. I eventually found the installs MAMP (native) and XAMPP (ported from Windows). This will allow you to develop more complex websites, supporting PHP, MySQL, etc. Both are free. I use XAMPP on Windows and am going to try MAMP for Mac. The basic web server does not support PHP. Your browser opens local PHP files as text files displaying the code, not an actual site, and for this reason I need to install either of the above-mentioned tools.

MacBook
iPhone 3Gs
QUOTE Thanks
cupboy

cupboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by antizero View Post
This response was from 2006. What is the current method for current Macbooks?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The Web Sharing is gone from the later versions of OS X, so give MAMP a shot. It will set up Apache, MySQL and PHP for you and get things going..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Optical drive replacement | Late unibody 2008 Macbook Frequent Kernel Crashes + Other Problems. »